Cpl promotions

I try and have a set of guidelines - ultimately because I feel being too prescriptive hinders me. I have some things I would like cadets to do (such as DofE) and so put one of them as is enrolled on the scheme/has achieved a level of award, but that was a carrot to get more people signed up.

difficult to claim “criteria” but ACTO007 does offer a “Specification”

Sharepoint link ACTO007

none of that takes into account experience (ie time served) or experiences (ie what they have done) thus does not take into account taking part in the Cadet experience, to use pEp’s example enrolled onto the DEA, others could include, have been on camp, been flying/gliding, have gained at least 1x (blue) badge (be it radio, shooting, first aid etc)

i think @themajor’s list is very achievable and realistic - the trouble with any list is some will see it as a tick list and once achieved expect promotion irrespective of their proficiency or suitability for the rank they desire

1 Like

Yeah that is an issue. You risk getting those kids who have zero leadership skills complaining they haven’t been promoted because they’ve “achieved” everything on your list. Another reason I made it a guide.

1 Like

The decision is up to the CO and he would be a plonker if he missed that opportunity. But, some that I know have been historically. Whatever; do not suggest a promotion to him because if he was thinking of doing that he cannot now you have spoken. I usually ask opinions of several people before I plump for a Cpl or Sgt. Or even wait and see and hope a cdt makes it an obvious no-brainer. Hence all the advice, get yourself noticed doing the good things.

Thanks for the link to ACTO0007 however I am yet to have my login details (been nearly a year waiting now)

In regards to the list I know its only a guideline nut we have cadets that have been there longer than me and are yet to have 1st class and that’s not through lack of want (has blue wings, Has blue leadership attends shooting weekends, fieldcraft weekends, parades etc), it just doesn’t happen. DofE also doesn’t happen because the CO has other interests.

Oh well will have to wait and see what happens if anything

I would disagree with the requirement for DofE. This goes against the spirit of the award as it is supposed to be totally voluntary. While promotion isn’t mandatory, you are effectively forcing cadets to do DofE if they want to advance in rank. I think DofE can be used as a part of a “you must have one or more of the following” list, but not an absolute requirement.

5 Likes