Contactless/Card Payments and Fundraising

Which is all very well, but what if they’re not carrying any cash?

1 Like

To me it is exremely foolish not to have an amount of cash on you, look at all the bank and mobile network outages when people cannot buy food fuel etc.

I have two cards and my phone, all of which I can pay with.

In the event that both cards are no longer functioning either in shops or in an ATM and ApplePay packs up, I shall simply go home and eat the food I have there.

2 Likes

I would say the number of people not actually carrying cash is very high. People use cards etc for convenience when they don’t know how much it might cost, which I why I pay for petrol by card, but that’s the only thing I regularly pay for by card.

Do you have accounts in two separate non related banks?

Indeed.

But this isn’t about the wisdom of not carrying cash or otherwise, it’s about the fact that many people don’t.

Therefore they lack wisdom IMHO.

So is your plan to deliver a lecture on carrying cash to everyone who is unable to donate, on account of their not carrying cash?

2 Likes

The impact of those not carrying any real money is minimal. If it means a few people not giving so be it.

I was asked in my bank if I did online / mobile banking I said no, as I felt it’s better to deal/speak to real people than some anonymous entity in a call centre. My bank does seem to have rather attractive young ladies, which makes going in a pleasant thing to do.

Remember Greece where the government restricted the withdrawl of cash from ATMs to 50 euro a day, same thing with card purchases. A cashless society which governments want means they have a control of the population that they don’t have with cash in circulation.

This is IMO bang out of order. Who decided? Did they ask and in asking explain that all fees would be paid by the customer? If they did ask and explain and it all got through, more fool those who said yes. If they’ve decided to do this and offered no alternatives they should pay the fees. I’d send them a cheque and be done with it, if they didn’t like that or cash, I wouldn’t be doing it.
As said a lack of take up would soon bring a more rounded approach. It sounds like some old sod on the Wing Committee who’s found this, got far too excited as it means they have to do less, like going to the bank to pay in some cheques.

Why are you paying for a mandatory course?

I do everything contactless, 2 accounts as my main branch is over 30 miles away. Put money in my cash dropping basic account and then transfer to my contactless account. If I go somewhere that doesn’t do contactless then they lose out on my purchase. I have all I need on my phone, but if lose my phone then I will have a long walk home. I don’t like carrying coins when I can beep and leave.

You’re confusing your own views on the world with population norms again…

Granted this is a US survey but there’s no reason to assume that the UK will be significantly different. So it’s not “minimal”, it’s potentially 50%, and likely to increase in the future. Cash is obsolescent.

Interesting read that - so while I stand by everything written about charging handling/transfer fees, perhaps the lesson is for the fundraising effort to be exploring new methods?

In a purely commercial perspective, if you are going to lose 50p in the £5.00, then you need to achieve 11 donations to offset charges against 10 previously.

(Yes I realise these are figures for convenience of example).

Regular readers will know my recommendations that CivComs who can, should register their charity When you have a ‘real’ charity number and not an Exception Order number, then schemes like this open up to you

https://org.amazon.co.uk/

And if you can persuade parents, cadets and friends to do their online Christmas shop clicking ‘yes’ you will receive money for little or no effort!

Not really.

In our office not one person across a range of ages doesn’t have real money in their pockets, purses or handbags. Our kids who in their 20s/ early 30s would be in the target group for cashless all carry money and our youngest daughter gets money out to curb spending, she got caught up with flashing a card when she’d been out as it was easy and as you didn’t have that contact of handing money over, spending became meaningless. When she went out and it was when she checked her bank account she’d spent £90 on a few rounds of drinks, she now takes £40 in folding and that’s it.
Also I’m a bit old-fashioned in that I don’t like people knowing where I’ve been or what I’ve been doing and my wife wouldn’t get any surprises as to where I’d spent money on her.

Yes, of course your anecdote is much more telling than a survey of 2,000 people.

1 Like

Easy Fundraising is already open to us as we are. (Every Squadron is registered through HQAC.)

2 Likes

What about parents in particular who don’t have bank accounts or accounts that allow them to have cards which only have basic functions? Or more importantly parents who refuse to use electronic banking and deal with cash or cheques?

Parents who have difficulty through poverty can have great difficulty in obtaining banking services in any shape or form, but hey with the ACO retreating to the nice affluent areas who really cares about those who can’t access the financial sector.

1 Like

Does anyone not have a bank account? Presumably their parents either have a job or claim benefits, either of which will go directly into a bank account.

I believe benefits need an account and many of the work shy scrotes here have a post office account.