Comdt RAFAC leaving & replacement

I mean, who wouldn’t! (Except, perhaps Rich :joy:)

1 Like

Do kids and parents want a zero risk profile, or do they occasionally want to be put outside their comfort zone…and have fun in doing so?

6 Likes

Especially kids should to an extent be pushed and know their limits which will benefit their adult life

4 Likes

I (a cadet) definitely don’t want a zero risk profile. out of all the things i’ve done with cadets so far the ones that pose the most risk have also posed the most enjoyment. neither myself or my parents are concerned about my safety when I’m with cadets.

and on the “learning my limits” point, for cadets who are less active outside of cadets its definitely valuable to have experience finding out what hurts and what doesn’t, which definitely counts as developing cadets into good citizens.

22 Likes

Would you like to apply for the post of Comdt RAFAC?
This proves a point: it’s not children or young people who are ‘snowflakes’ these days, it’s their parents. :love_you_gesture::crazy_face:

2 Likes

The Commandant has just announced that he’s stepping down in September via his LinkedIn account. Not sure 1st April was the best choice of date…

MB

3 Likes

When I took on the role of Commandant Royal Air Force Air Cadets back in September 2021, I understood that longevity in post was not necessarily in the organisation’s best interests. Therefore, I’ve decided to step down in September after four years, my longest time in any role by some margin, and I’ll then retire from the Royal Air Force later in the year.

This role has been the most fulfilling yet challenging experience of my 37-year career. Collaborating with colleagues and stakeholders to steer the organization through the aftermath of the pandemic and seeing a record number of Air Cadets embracing our diverse offer has been truly rewarding. Witnessing our organisation become more inclusive and better equipped to protect our young people fills me with pride. We have come a long way.

As a team we’ve taken significant strides in modernising our organisation. We’ve brought together the 900 ATC Squadrons in local communities and in the 230 CCF(RAF) Sections in secondary schools to improve access to the breadth of our offer for all cadets. We’ve enhanced the safety and quality of our activities and set a new high standard for safeguarding.

Despite facing tough financial and workforce challenges, our unwavering ambition to evolve for the betterment of our team, volunteers, and cadets remains strong. Our investment in Cadet Training Centres, increasing capacity of the glider fleet, adopting modern technologies, updating volunteer training, and obtaining accredited qualifications for cadets are significant achievements.

There are areas where my endeavours have faced resistance, but the journey we’ve embarked upon is crucial for the organisation’s financial viability; it also restores relevance to the parent Service and enhances outcomes for our inspirational Air Cadets and the many brilliant volunteers who so generously contribute of their time and talent.

There’s never a perfect moment to relinquish command, but now feels as good a time as any. I’m confident that a new Commandant will bring fresh vigour to the organisation, using their more current network of Station Commanders and senior leaders to leverage access, focus our message and steer the organisationtoward continued success.

As I step down, I do so with unwavering confidence that the Air Cadets is a hugely important part of the Royal Air Force (RAF), serving as a ‘light blue’ presence throughout the UK and nurturing a constant flow of inspired and eager potential recruits. I trust that our resolute staff and volunteer colleagues will continue to work diligently for the best interests of all, and especially the young people we have the privilege to call Air Cadets.

As for me, I have no plans, but I’m excited to explore what opportunities there are for a second career.

1 Like

Checks watch seeing if it’s past midday or not…

Also, on a serious note, this would have been nice to see put up on Sharepoint or something similar like an email, at the same time as he goes onto LinkedIn and posts it, along with his new #OpenToWork profile pic. Classic comms from the top.

9 Likes

I’m interested in how we would actually reflect on his tenure.

On one hand, the organisation is probably in the single most dire position that any of us have ever seen it in.

On the other, many factors leading to the above have been outside of his control. Additionally, whilst very much baby steps, some comms have improved and there has been at least a partial attempt to keep people informed. Not up to the standard you’d expect, but better than what has been previously.

Would anyone disagree?

I think you and I are pretty much on the same level with what we think!

1 Like

As frustrated as I am with some things, I do have some empathy.

Some of my projects at work are a little bit off track, and many of the project team are, understandably, looking at blaming the project manager.

There’s only so much I can communicate to my teams without affecting faith in the overarching organisation, but suffice to say I’m doing what I can just not always getting the outcome I or the team want.

I feel like TK may be in a similar position, and leadership is a lonely place when that happens.

2 Likes

He has just announced on Linkedin that he is going in September.

The fact he has announced it on LinkedIn and not via any formal comms to the organisation speaks volumes about why he has failed.

21 Likes

Lead by (wrong) example…

3 Likes

Oh for pity’s sake. I’ve just realised I’m going to have to change my avatar soon…

2 Likes

4/10… would not recommend.

1 Like

Can’t be referring to the BTEC…

You know when a government takes over and a little bit later the economy improves because of something the previous government did, but the new one takes the credit? A lot of his successes feel like things that we were already on a path towards…

2 Likes

Something occurred to me the other day, but I didn’t remember to put it here:

Sometimes the person to break things down in order to be rebuilt isn’t the right person to build it back up from the foundation they created. I think he’s done the job he was brought in to do. I also think he could have done it better - comms being a large part of that.

Interestingly, he feels the same.

(I also read that middle part cynically as “no one likes me enough to do me a solid”)

7 Likes

“The longest I have spent in any role”

You mean no one has had to put up with him as long as us? In his entire career? Seriously?

5 Likes

Officers, especially EngOs only do 24-30 months in post.

But took up post in sep 21, retiring in sep 24 after 4 years… Maths isn’t mathing.

2 Likes