Classification Exams: fit for purpose?

Exactly what I was getting at!
Not a replacement but a supplementary.

Also… instructors could use them to help learn subjects before teaching. Not everyone is an engineer, pilot, NATS, weatherman, etc etc

1 Like

I’ve been using my University and DCAE Cosford notes and PowerPoints… Much better laid out and contains the same information!

I have no idea - ask the Corps Training Officer via the Chain of Command would be my suggestion…

3 Likes

My understanding is you can’t add them to SMS for some time into the process. This is major failing of the staff application and acceptance process. We should be adding new staff onto SMS just like we do with new cadets and if they leave or fail the process remove them just the same.

It’s been a while since we have had anyone take up volunteering as staff. So things may have changed.

1 Like

A quick look around You Tube and there’s no real need for waiting for some dull as ditch water video produced by the RAF, ATC or MoD. I’ve used some of these embedded in ppts.

Kids will be more than used to using them, as apparently people have made videos for science practicals and I get the impression a few teachers use these rather than pupils getting hands on. Quite disappointing when I consider how much fun we had in science classes.

The materials section of Airframes is ridiculous. I’ve been an aircraft engineer for 17 years and still had to look up some of that stuff.
Also some questions are written to confuse and not in plain English.

1 Like

This is because when the syllabus to training was created 70 odd years ago the ATC went to the RAF and borrowed what was being done on the trade training on the SofTTs and reproduced it.

1 Like

There is little point in saying I am/was this or that in a related trade to the subject matter, as the vast majority aren’t and never have been and don’t have a scooby, whetehr it’s good bad or indifferent. Personally I don’t see a problem with a subject matter that stretches cadets, rather than a Janet and John level.
The main thing is cadets via whichever method on learning have passed the exams for decades. Although this is largely down to the exam methodology.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the material for airmanship 2 has been updated? Does it feature actual in service RAF aircraft or is it still wildly out of date?

Not in the slightest. If you ask me, suspend it all. Big review and start again.

AK has increasingly been a history lesson for years, not just recently.
i think it should be updated to reflect the current aircraft in the RAF. Although this would mean someone doing some more questions and not relying on the old paper exam questions.

Do we have enough aircraft types to fill a whole subject?

3 Likes

It depends how you want to do it. As a cadet I remember reading the AK book over and over again, as a question could come up on anything on the aircraft studied. If you wanted to go back a system like that, then there is more than enough.

Off the top of my head, 3 x FJ, 2 x SH, 2 x trg helicopter, 3 other training types, 1 x RPAS, 1 x AEW, 1 x (new) MPA, 3 x other ISTAR, 1 x tanker, 3 x airlift (+1 outgoing)… and I’ve probably missed a couple.

1 Like

So… no. Not enough for a subject :rofl:

That’s not the whole subject tbf

Reviving an old topic here but does anyone have any drafts of the possible exam questions for the senior exams that they would be willing to upload to the drive! I already have the presentations/ACP but it would be useful to know what I should be teaching more thoroughly

the problem is that there’s a bank of dozens of questions, picked at random, split approximately evenly across the LOs

My not so quick fix…
Log onto the exam yourself
Take exam making sure you get each answer wrong
Repeat as many times as you like with the mandatory 7 days between attempts

Review the results taking screen shots of each question
Voila! one question bank or cheat sheet depending on how u want to use it

3 Likes

As I was a cadet, unfortunately Ultilearn still has my own results logged so won’t allow me to review them as staff