Civilian post nominals (plus JSP101 and email etiquette)

It was simply an old habit carried over to make things look nicer.
These days it’s unnecessary and in fact in version 4 it has been done away with.
No more double spaces.

I find that having the templates with the proper Word styles set up helps massively (assuming you know how to use Word styles that is; many don’t). It may have been @wdimagineer2b that produced the ones I still use now, but I can’t quite remember.

2 Likes

It could well be… I seem to recall sharing mine around here a while back.

I’m always somewhat surprised by how few people have been taught how to use the features of Word, like styles, tab stops, auto numbering… It’s not as though it’s new software.

1 Like

I have never heard of any of those things!

Far too young then!! How about CTRL + X ? :laughing:

I learned a lot in the 1990s writing a PhD thesis. That was Word 2.0c for Windows… but most of it is still useful.

1 Like

Oh yes, copying to a floppy disk by having to type out the command. If you wanted to add extra hardware / software, allow a couple of hrs to clear out all the glitches / reloads. Dial-up internet, call up a webpage, then go get a coffee, maybe the page had half-loaded by the time you got back. The good old tech days! :grin:

1 Like

Are we done with Post Nominals?

2 Likes

The boss has quite a lot after his name on the stand down letter

Years ago I was tasked to write a micro to remove double spaces before documents were handed off to the print shop, whose software didn’t like them. One of my career highlights.

1 Like

That’s the kind of thing sed was designed for…

I still am not totally sure on if it is correct or not to use it but given I’m not sending many emails at the moment I’ll cope for the meantime.

But, as they are genuinely connected on this occasion…

s9f75

7 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t realise that changing the title wouldn’t suffice, apologies!

1 Like

It works here because they are so connected, but this isn’t a precedent that anyone can start an FT kit thread, talk about CTR, and somehow get away with the same trick.

How does FT relate to post.nominals…

TOPIC

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with others doing it, but I don’t. I have a PhD and used to hold chartered status. It would look a bit odd. What would the regular make of it? Sgt Bloggs, PhD, CEng.

Likewise, I wouldnt use CFAV rank in civvy communications either. However, after reading another thread where someone claimed that PhD holders are provided accommodation in Officers Mess when visiting for professional reasons, maybe I should use my civvy post nominals :wink:

2 Likes

Probably not a great deal.

I did an SVA (glorified work experience on a station) while on a UAS and met a regular SGT with 2x Masters, a PhD and some other ridiculously high accreditation.

A guy on my Sqn held a BSc and a MSc. He turned down the opportunity for both Cpl tapes and a commission. He stayed an SAC for the duration of his service.

4 Likes

Helped an SAC fireman (at Bruggen) - chance encounter at SHQ - he was asking about how to apply for NCO aircrew (I started off in that life). He said that his WO thought that he shouldn’t go down that route.

I asked the SAC about his qualifications - “A” levels + degree!! :open_mouth:

So, I then asked him about what his thoughts were about applying for a commission as aircrew. Whilst very much what he aspired to do, he said that his WO would laugh about it. Not a problem, said I. It’s not his choice - & I was on the stn pre-screening board for such personnel.

Had an “interesting” 'phone call with his WO, tea leaves were read. :fire: :fire:

About 18 months, when I was then at Lyneham, the “SAC” tracked me down to offer his thanks; he had just finished Cranditz, & was waiting his pilot trg. :+1:t2:

9 Likes