Civilian Gliding Experience

I really do apologise, I really must learn to read more carefully!

We really go over the top with some of the requirements. DBS for gliding - really? I guess you could talk “dirty” to them - fancy a spin or a cable brake? :wink:

Seriously, we throw enough obstacles in the way, without adding superfluous ones. The ACO should be utilising the BGA’s experience rather (as seems to be the case with 2FTS?) than ignoring it.

Here’s a (simplistic) solution - can the VGS system (= no requirement for 2FTS = separate saving) - allocate the monies saved to the BGA to their Youth Gliding Centres. Gift the gliders (once “repaired”) + new winches to the BGA. Gift Syerston to the BGA. Agree a suitable (funded) transition for VGS instructors to become BGA instructors. Cadets get to fly at BGA Youth Centres (the funding would allow more to be set up). Everyone happy…

If VGS staff can loose the DBS checks happy days, then the rest of the ACO can follow suit :slight_smile: Oh but how would the ACO be assured that the staff are suitable? I guess we could just tick the no box and ask for more trust.

Mr Jenvey, you should me an advisor to Air Command. You have the best ideas and can I just say I love it when you talk dirty.

You mentioned Wittering before, the Tutors I see there are they EFT and AEF? I know they are providing but EFT but the lack of AEF seems to keep being mentioned, nice station Wittering.

I love the idea. No, really.

Two points, why would the BGA want Syerston? and it always used to be that a “B” Cat instructor (old “B” Cat, not the new name for a “C” Cat) could be accepted for a BGA Assistant Cat after an acceptance flight with the CFI of the club. I don’t think it has changed.

Passenger carrying ratings were always in the gift of the CFI.

2FTS aren’t doing anything useful with it! :wink:

edited as I have lost the will to have a pop at the lack ATC gliding anymore.

Rant mode on
It is clear that the rank and file are being treated with the greatest of contempt and derision in relation to this issue. There needs to be some communication from the Commandant or 2FTS to the volunteers whether good or bad so all of the rumours, speculation and back biting and stop. We need to know what the future is going to be. Bad news is better than no news. At least we will know that those at the top have some respect for what we are going through in trying to keep cadets and give an interesting and varied training program without what a large chunk of what being an AIR CADET is all about.
Rant off

THere has been communication - that being they are forbidden from saying something as it’s linked to the DIO review. That’s ministerial. You are barking at the wrong postmen!

As a sqn commander there has been on communication to me via the CoC for months.

That’s an issue for your wing fella. We have had info cascaded along these lines.

There was a missive posted on here from CAC favourite way to communicate on the gliding paused thread. But it reads as another way for HQAC and 2FTS to be able to shoo the issue away and fob off / dismiss any questions, so they can get on with their ever extending tea breaks and coming up with even more banal policies to keep us loaded with admin stuff, rather than treat the young people and volunteer staff in organisation with respect.

Does the latest changes to ACTO35 - mean if the correct procedures, afflications and boxes are ticked, then cadets can have Air Experience Flights at local gliding schools?:

Following taken from ACTO 35

"1. To provide air safety assurance and execute our duty of care to the cadets, the Air Cadet
Organisation (ACO) will only authorise cadets to fly, in non-service aircraft (ac), including gliders,
utilising non-public funds, in the following circumstances:

a. Flights by operators of commercial passenger carrying services.

b. Flights by operators of approved flying clubs and flight training organisations, listed in
CAA Approved Training Organisations Document.31, v 118, flown by CAA Flying Instructors
in aircraft with a Certificate of Airworthiness and current Airworthiness review certificate.

c. Flights at British Gliding Association (BGA) Affiliated Clubs, flown by BGA
Gliding Instructors in aircraft with a Certificate of Airworthiness and current
Airworthiness Review Certificate. "

What are non-public finds? Can CivComs support this?

Yes. You can now use gliders.

Non-public funds are any you have raised yourself. Public funds are anything the tax payer shells out for.

pEP - ATC can now fly in civilian gliders, but the ATC have piled on some ridiculous requirements for BGA instructors!

Age 21 - 65
500 Launches P1
200 Launches P1 on Type

the 21 - 65 requirement makes things difficult for ATC guys wanting to fly during the week when everybody is at work. The majority of BGA Instructors are also over 65!

The BGA have their own rules, and the CAA support them! - If the ATC want to come and fly in BGA gliders they must play by BGA rules. Otherwise they dont get to go flying! Simple as!

Same principle for getting cadets flying with a CAA-approved flying club. Why the heck is further approval required?? Applying Military rules to civilian (approved) organisations is a duplication of effort & is a pointless exercise.

It just means that the cadets lose out!

Scouts can fly with the BGA without issue, therefore why can’t the ACO?

BGA Clubs and Instructors are all correctly licensed, experienced and insured for this sort of stuff. Let us get on with what we do best!

they could, shoudl be used as “civilian contractors” if the CAA approve of their methods and the BGA are the “voice” in gliding I can’t see what the MOD/RAF/HQAC have to argue about…