Cheap MTP webbing

Is it okay with you to write it off based on my experiences of it being utter tribe? Based on experiences as both a cadet and staff member? I’ve seen parents shell out on stuff they could barely afford, only to see it destroyed after a few weekends use?

No. We’re not Tier 1 Operators. But it doesn’t mean we should not get the best kit for the money we’ve got available. And if that means Grade 1 PLCE - thats fine by me. I have more confidence in that than Webtex, Kombat and all the other cheap knock off brands.

And i for one wouldn’t be recommending it to cadets if i wouldn’t use it myself - or represent good VFM.

1 Like

Not at all. Use whatever you can. Spend as little money as possible.

Use issue kit, use whatever you want. Use normal hill walking gear in Olive Green. Use whatever you can get your hands on. As long as your not using camouflage cream as a uniform, I couldn’t give a damn.
Mummy and Daddy happy to splerge the credit card? Go for it, by some of the gucciest gear you can find.

I resent buying half the stuff I have to buy because “professionalism” I don’t think it’s right to pressure kids or parents to pick up a bill for a few small token night exs. And mega basic range packages.
The air cadet field craft is embarrassing. it doesn’t warrant any gucci gear. Army cadets? Maybe a different story.

Webtex isn’t that bad. I had a small webtex nyrex folder, only thing I could find at short notice, and it survived the jungle and Norway. Borrowed a mates webtex pouch in the jungle. Lasted the ex and gave it him back. In one piece. It’s certainly fine for cadets.

Want the issue stuff? Go for it. The point is to shop around and find a bargain. Cadets shouldn’t be avoiding the airsoft/cadet market.

And staff are going to use it a lot more, and for a lot more years than a cadet.

Although as long as your not getting those gash MOLLE belts and osprey pouches, you can’t go wrong I suppose.

1 Like

PLCE wasn’t indestructable. And had its problems.

I had a Bergan or two, the straps snapped, had to continue with the thing crabbed together. Or bodge something to keep going. Not to mention waistbelts breaking. And the top flap securing straps had a habit of breaking.

PLCE webbing, the metal eyelets had a habit of shearing, that’s why you always back it up with paracord.

MOLLE tore, or had the poppers break off. Zips break.

The new Veritus kit has its problems. Parts of it broke on the tests, it still got rolled out.

If your so concerned about kit breaking. Just go and buy some Pattern 58 webbing. Just have to man up when it rains and adds another couple of Kg to it.

A full set of PLCE DPM webbing can be picked up on ebay this evening for £39.99. A full set of Webtex webbing (new, because I don’t think it lasts long enough to be resold) will be at least twice that.

Webtex coats more. Combat costs more.

I don’t think anyone would call DPM PLCE webbing “Gucci”. They might call it “practical”, “hard wearing”, and “good value for money” though… :wink:

3 Likes

I think you need to reread the FTI’s. The RAFAC and ACF follow the same fieldcraft syllabus. We just don’t get the opportunity to use weapons very often.

There is no such thing as a token night ex anymore. Night training requires regional approval. No one goes through that rigmaroll without putting effort into making the training realistic.

1 Like

Why buy a full set? What if you just need one pouch? Or a strap? What if you’re just replacing a pouch? Or you want an extra one? Or you couldn’t get a certain pouch from your local surplus store or fleabay?

Shop. Around.

If you want to play soldiers with Carinthia kit and Odin chest rigs. You go ahead.

Lol. “realistic”.

Without weapons. Without pyros. Without certain basic tactics. With kids.

I agree. I’m fairly certain you’ll never find that G1 Issue pouches cost more than New Webtex/Kombat pouches, though!

Sigh. Thats exactly why I suggested buying surplus gear, isn’t it… :ohmygod:

What’s your point? I teach Principles of flight to young adults. Without an aircraft. Without a Pilots license. :rofl:

Besides, you should see my local ACF det teaching section battle drills with sticks, and shouting bang.

2 Likes