Charging Cadets for lost or damaged items?

While I would say Cadets should certainly be charged for losing something owned by the Squadron. (Adventure Training Kit etc) charging them for washing their 3822 or for losing their berets just seems wrong to me.

(Yes redoing 3822’s is a pain in the backside but it doesn’t cost anything!)

1 Like

Fraud. Its not the sqn property. The sqn never paid for it. If the sqn charges £5for a beret, that £5 ends up in the sqn coffers. To be legal they should sent the £5 to their parent station.

2 Likes

That’s not fraud. If the squadron is honest that the fee is not to replace the beret, but for some other penalty. (Admin charge?) Then it isn’t a dishonest representation.

1 Like

But that is not the question at the top is? Sqns are charging for lost items and pocketing the funds.

1 Like

That is absolutely horrendous. Who ever came up with that idea needs a slap. (Figuratively speaking).

That’s a terrible attitude. What if said cadets can’t afford it? Or their parents? What sqn is it? Name and shame.

Charging for lost items that they got for free… it’s issued. The clue is in the wording.

“ISSUED”.

Not once did I pay for anything that was damaged in its use or needed replaced when I was in the Regulars.

But you are demanding that parents pay for kit that is issued.

They aren’t paying towards anything else. They believe they are paying towards the uniform. Not for the Christmas cake/staff night out.

Ohh thats very dodgy ground.Especially the bit about wear.In my Air Force days uniform was lifed 4 years for a no.1 30 months for a jumper.If you needed a new one outside the time slots (the jumpers especially at the time had a nasty habit of failing at the seams just above the cuffs well before 30 months was up) You had to get a chit from your boss stating failure was due to “fair wear and tear” if it was negligence you had to pay up. Ive never charged anyone for uniform or levied a deposit .I could see something like that ending in tears.All it would take would be one parent questioning the validity of such a scheme.

I don’t see how we can possibly charge a “fine”, “replacement cost”, or “admin expense” on issued uniform - it’s not ours. The RAF own it. If they wanted to levy a charge that’d be up to them.

Squadron owned kit on loan such as bergans, sleeping bags, &c… Sure. But ensure that the parents are aware and agree to the terms before the kit is loaned out.

2 Likes