Changes to RAFAC Sports

Really does read like Clay shooting and Archery will both suffer as a result.

Is travel cost impacted by this? I assume so.

We really are soon gooing to be left with radio, cyber, space only…
And if really really good boys and girls once a year putting face paint on in the car park for Fieldcraft.

1 Like

I fail to see how activities that already don’t get public funding will suffer when public funding gets cut.

3 Likes

The general theme that I’m taking from this thread is that most CFAVs probably aren’t that fussed if sports were to disappear. Not trying to stir the pot, but just to summarise what I’m reading - I’m planning a wing-wide review of sports anyhow (from before yesterday’s announcement) and it at least lets me know the general landscape before starting.

Is that a fair assessment?

4 Likes

From my point of view, I think sports in the organisation is pretty important, but mostly at a Sqn/Wing level. Much less so at Region/HQ.

I think there is loads gained from running inter-sqn sports events. Wing Athletics, Swimming, Football etc. Cadets and staff get to know those around them, as well as keeping fit etc. Also a good level to get those not normally interested involved.

But once you get up to the top level, all you’ve really got is cadets who already do that sport pretty seriously outside of cadets competing against others that are the same. Less to gain there imo.

10 Likes

As a CFAV, I would love sports to continue, however it is the cadets that I struggle to motivate to attend.

It doesn’t help that there is a lack of preparation for these events within the Wing and everything feels very last minute.

3 Likes

We did have a discussion on here a couple of years back about this so the thread may be useful to any review you do.

2 Likes

Out of interest, what sort of reasons for not wanting to attend are you hearing?

I see part of my role as attempting to remove barriers to participation.

I struggled to get enough for a 5-a-side team out of 40 cadets on parade!

Nonenof them gave a reason though

2 Likes

It’s not what the joined for as they do it at school & then it’s oversold on the quality of the event.

This is what I mainly get out of them for why no to athletics & cross country.

3 Likes

Don’t many people consider gliding to be a sport? :wink:

2 Likes

And most target shooting…

1 Like

Back when I was involved with running the Clay Shooting with the wing it was all self-funded then.
Grants to buy the kit then the wing funded clays and cartridges, etc

from my point of view:
when i was a new CFAV, and at the time also in my 20s, anything sports went to me - simply because I was seen as the “fittest” staff member on Sqn based on age.
this “positive discrimination” was also seen at a Wing level, at least on annual Camps, when it came to dishing out who would be looking after each element of camp, Sports fell on my lap - presumably for the same reasons.
FWIW - i am of “average” sporting ability. Yes I could sprint 100m, and jog 400, even 800m without dying, but i have no specific sporting ability.

Now i am older, sports does tend to be picked up by someone else (in their 20s). Although Sports/fitness is very much a part of RAF life, and with regular fitness tests for the regulars it is no surprise, as CFAVs we don’t have that same mentality or culture.

Wing athletics, X-country, Swimming etc was typically well attended by Cadets but saw limited appeal from the Staff (perhaps linked to the lack of VA it attracts?).
Often it would be those who did sports outside of the RAFAC that did well (unsurprisingly), particularly in swimming and would go on to Region level competitions

Sports has typically always been a “filler” on the training programme, and i have certainly noticed a lower attendance from the Cadets on those nights versus others.
I don’t feel there has ever much been interest or focus on Sports from the top, and this has fed down to the Squadron level.
while Wing competitions have always taken place, the Staff interest is limited due to the lack of fitness/sports Culture within the CFAVs themselves

1 Like

I mean I find our monthly sports/fitness nights often our most paraded activity - though I doubt its because they’re interested in seeing personal progression.

I’ve been Anti Sport for many years, dating back to my time as a cadet and I’ll share some reasons.

We have for many years struggled (pre covid) with attendance at Winter Sports Trials to produce a wing team for Football / Rugby / Netball / Hockey, mainly as those that were interested were already playing for a team so as such unavailable.

If you are sporty you are likely to be spending a lot of days doing RAFAC Sport;

• Wing Sports Trials x 2
  • Inter Wing Winter Sports
  • Inter Region Winter Sports
  • Wing Swimming
  • Region Swimming
  • Corps Swimming
  • Wing Athletics
  • Region Athletics
  • Corps Athletics
  • Wing Cross Country
  • Region Cross Country
  • Corps Cross Country
  • Wing 5 a Side

14 days total, before you add in the travel element for Region / Corps, suddenly you’ve only got 38 weekends of the year left.

That said I’m all for inter squadron competition, but see no reason to progress further than that, if you want to play rugby or hockey, join the local rugby/hockey club.

3 Likes

I’m tempted to have a random non uniformed night just to see how many crawl out of the woodwork who don’t usually parade much!

I see sport at a Sqn/sector level as being a worthwhile/beneficial activity, but not above that. The people who get picked for wing/regional teams are the people who are doing the same thing for their schools/local clubs, and I see no point wasting limited resources on a niche activity that those who do it do it elsewhere as well.

As a cadet, wing sports day was simply about the social, and I see that being the case for the cadets I’ve been staff for for the last 25 years or whatever.

Bin it off, plough the resources used into Sqn level activity. That might involve Sqn level sport, but my (I think, pretty well informed) suspicion is that the overwhelming number of cadets think they get enough sport at school.

Personally I’d put it into something like an orienteering day in Keilder Forest, Cannock Chase or wherever - I think that a) you’d get a much greater response from cadets and staff, and b) you’d achieve a great deal more in terms of the Cadet Experience and training objectives for the same staff and resources outlay.

6 Likes

i second both these comments.
providing the “team” can be made up from a Squadron (be that 5-a-side football, or individual events like athletics or swimming) then I am all for it. As soon as it becomes a Wing team of 15-20 Cadets picked from across the Wing it becomes silly.
the only time I see that kind of spread work is with Road Marching, who meet and train weekly - RAFAC sports teams do not even meet monthly for “training” - it is a case of “you’re good enough” (or in some cases you put your name down so your in to make up the numbers) and forced onto a coach to travel 2 hours to play in a team you barely know.
(there are parallels with a Wing band too)

1 Like

Slightly separate to the topic, I’m trying to organise a visit that will require a coach - it seems that our planned trip trip may not qualify to be publicly funded under new (yet to be announced) guidelines – this is being looked at now but unlikely to have an answer before next week. :frowning:

1 Like

There’s a lot of information for me to digest here. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so openly.

1 Like