Candidates for Commission - discussion with Civ Com?

NO, deff NO

The CWC would have a better idea of what they want from an OC of their squadron given they have invested time in it just like the other staff. Wing just want to move people around, which I’m sure many of us have seen result in a disaster.

Why does this matter?
What are the current commissioning requirements other than they have always been … someone wanting to do it and prepared to go through the hoops? Unless I’ve missed something.
As for knowledge etc, many CWC members talk to other CWC members, not actually talk but via SM as seems to be for many others. Because of their use of SM one of the CWC on the squadron I run hears and tells me things.
CWC members help out with transport to Wing things and speak to other people. Not all, granted, but, they find out things.
Via whatever method they hear and form opinions, which is what we all do.

Yeah, sure, they’ll form opinions… But those who have no service or ATC background are no better placed to decide whether someone should receive a commission than if we dragged some random in off the street to make the decision.

Who gets a commission, versus who goes for SNCO, versus who stays as a CI is NOT a decision for the CivCom. It’s out of their purview… in just the same way as the Sqn staff don’t get to decide who joins the committee or who they appoint to chair, secretary, and treasurer.
Any “discussion” regarding staff appointments need only go as far as informing them of what is happening as a courtesy.

As for them having an idea of what they want from an OC… I’m sure they will have ideas about that, but frankly they’re the least important in the equation.
What matters more is that the OC can work well with the cadets and existing staff on the Squadron. It’s the CFAVs who give up their time two evenings and however many weekends to work alongside the OC.
The CivCom might see the OC for a meeting one evening every month or two.

If the CFAV barely get a say in who becomes their OC then why they hell should the CivCom get to make the decision?

3 Likes

You have parents who are school governors, who have never worked in a school yet they make decisions on head teachers, or Police and Crime Commissioners who generally have no idea of policing but who appoint the Chief Constable therefore what is the difference?

And, according to ACP 11 it is a role of assisting the Wing Commander and the Chair of the CWC.

Role of the CWC Chairman/woman
Annexe e ACP11 Sec 19 states.

1. Assist the wing commanding officer in finding a suitable person to command the squadron when a replacement is required.

The problem is letting others in would rain on the parades of people who think a bit of cloth on their shoulder makes them better than others.
My wife has been part of the interview panel for a headmaster and a headmistress and said it was interesting to see them “putting on a show” and a good feeling to come to a decision, employ someone and see how their interview stacked up in reality. One of the governors had been a teacher for 20 years before leaving teaching and their questions added another dimension.

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, there is no difference. I think’s equally ridiculous.

Yes, I know what ACP 11 says - that was taken from AP 1919 and is, frankly, an outdated concept which needs reviewing.
Although, in its current form “assisting” could simply be “Mr Bloggs… Can you please scout to see if there’s anyone interested in becoming an officer at the Sqn which you support?.. We will make the actual decision, in accordance with Corps policy. Thank you.”

There certainly are some of those people around, but I’m not sure how prevalent they are.
Personally, the rank on my shoulder doesn’t make me “better” than the CivCom… But the 20+ years of accumulated experience and knowledge of the Corps does put me in a better place to understand the requirements and implications of various decisions, than a member of the CivCom - drafted in because their offspring is a cadet - who barely understands their own role, let alone what the rest of us do.

The CivCom have an important role to support the Squadron but they are not there to make command decisions.

1 Like

They are not making as you put it ‘command decisions’ but are brining aa different view to the selection process.

CWC are probably more passionate about the squadron their son/daughter does or got to do things on and will have invested more time and money in, than some here today gone tomorrow officer, who can go in and because of a personality defect effectively wreck it and then move somewhere else and do the same.

I’ve got 40+ plus years man and boy, but still don’t get it right everytime.

Parents who are school governors’ are right to be able to say who should be the headmaster/mistress, over a bunch of transient council or more so now trust wallahs. A local comprehensive was forced to join a trust by the DfE which caused the headmaster to leave, along with teachers and SLT and has gone from a school people moved to get into, is now struggling to get enough kids, as the trust appointed head has undone years of hard work, with even more teachers going elsewhere… Speaking to people with kids there, the Governors’ were not in the loop and the lady who was chairman resigned as did some others. A number of parents have tried to move their kids.

I may stop nepotism and the management putting someone in whois a’favoured’ person rather than someone more capable.

As someone has already stated, most of the time it would be a redundant exercise as there are rarely choices, merely “your it” appointments.