Cadet Uniform Scales - AP830

Can you blame them. They are awful.

They’re no longer issued to the RAF, and haven’t been for some time! But they’re still issuing them to cadets whilst the stocks last.

So what is the point in issuing them to cadets, which BTW we haven’t for several years. We have them in the stores and issue them on a need basis, ie they’re in uniform and the weather is crap.

Well, the point in issuing them to cadets is in case they’re in uniform and the weather is crap.

It’s a uniform coat, what do you think it would be for?

1 Like

I would rather issue each cadet one to keep at home and bring when they need than keep them in my stores taking up room!

But they don’t bring them.
We found they’d come without them, it then starts to rain and we end up trying to find something.
We have cadets who don’t even come to parade nights in a civvie coat as they are out of the car and inside within a minute,

We don’t demand a coat for every cadet. As it was we ended up with loads in the stores returned by cadets.

Giving them to cadets on a need basis seems to work for us.

Why not issue them all to cadets, and keep a few in stores in case of mistakes?

Then drum into cadets the importance of personal admin…

2 Likes

We wouldn’t send cadets out in the rain on a parade night anyway. For weekend events it’s easy to look at the weather and decide whether the risk of foul weather outweights the inconvenience of bringing it. It’s what I do

However - whatever works

On the other side of the coin… I’ve issued one to every single cadet for the past 19 years.
Certainly some cadets forget to bring them occasionally - More fool them.
Some forget and leave them at the unit without a name on - If they’re still floating around unclaimed after a week or so I put them back into the store. Then if/when a cadet complains that they’ve lost their jacket I give them a reminder about responsibility and reissue.

It’s never caused me a problem. They’re not a pool item. Once out of the packet they take up large amounts of space on the shelves. Why hold onto the damn things when you don’t have to? I say issue them to the cadets and let them store the awkward things. They’ve got them on hand then for whenever they need them.

2 Likes

Can anyone provided the NSNs for the black leather gloves?

This could be a good wiki post (all of the NSNs)

would be better if cadets could wear the newer cortex blue jackets rather than the ‘crisp packet’ type

But whilst there are stocks remaining of the Jeltex it would be rather silly to spend a lot of cash on Goretex for them.