Cadet Attendance Standards and Expectations

How can you be AWOL from a voluntary organisation? There is not a contract nor wage and we are not statutory.
I’ve never understood all the different categories for attendance, you’re there or not.
I never got the notion of Leave of Absence. Someone says I’m not going be here and that’s that. Can I say no you can’t, no I can’t.

No one mentioned approval but you’ve got the difference between between Leave and AWOL in one there. leave = You’re aware the cadet/ CFAV will be absent. AWOL = You don’t have prior knowledge.

If you’ve ever been a Training Officer you’ll appreciate the issues that AWOL causes.

2 Likes

Been there, argued that before, made your feelings clear, let’s not cover it again.

It’s known term used for ease of understanding to represent a certain situation, which some may wish to utilise for statistical clarity when peeking at attendance.

Disagreeing with the term itself is irrelevant. The intent/spirit of the option is more valuable and relevant than its name.

4 Likes

Just because you can’t say no to leave doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as a concept.

Yes if people are going to be absent they are going to be absent but why would you my want to differentiate between those who have the common courtesy to tell you and those who don’t?

5 Likes

AWOL doesnt exist on the new registers…why are we even discussing it?

There kind of is. There is Absent, and Authorised Absence.
Absent is didn’t turn up and didn’t say anything, Authorised Absence is letting us know before hand that they can’t make it.

2 Likes

No there isnt.

Until recently. AWOL was actually listed.
It isnt anymore.

As I said, there kind of is. It’s essentially a name change as already explained above. AWOL changed to A, and AA stayed the same. I think we all know what it means in real terms and isn’t exactly worth debating over. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s move on from semantics please.

Our policy is in fact that they ask for study leave (but are granted it by default, unless it leaves us really short of instructors which it rarely does). Just not turning up makes them AWOL.
Though in the CCF context, I note they don’t do this for sport…

I’ve just come back from the camp and have checked cadet portal and it worked as my attendance is now 75.3%. So if any of you are wondering I think Cadet Portal picks up on it automatically.