Bureaucracy gone mad... Part 2!

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/vov/Lists/Ask%20The%20Team/AllItems.aspx

Select New Discussion at the top of the screen.

1 Like

Acto 74 is all the policy on DofE. assessors is covered in one of the annex. There are ways around not holding a NGB qualification but you would have to be deemed as having suitable experience but this isn’t the norm. Most assessors would hold a NGB quailfication and EAAS accreditation.

As although we expect our supervisors to be qualified and experienced they still have to meet DofE requirements of an ESTC course. I personally don’t agree that you should be forced to do an RAFAC course when the courses in the main should be the same no matter the provider.

I wonder if this comes from the fact that people in the Corps who become assessors have had NGB quals and if we were setting up from scratch there wouldn’t be this demand on people. So the Corps’ policy is not born of common sense and is coming from the other end so to speak.
I do think that the Corps seems to have policies etc that do not encourage people to do things by creating caveats and its own rules.

ACTO 74 is currently missing from RAFAC Key Documents :rage:

Doesn’t surprise me! Apparently we aren’t allowed to see the policies that effect us. Must be having an amendment Maybe? :expressionless:

I imagine this is probably the case I know that in our wing that all of our assessors hold a NGB qualification and I’m 90% sure that could be the case in most wings as one of the roles of the assessors is to support the supervisor in the safety of the team even though they are not responsible for the team. An NGB qualification is an easy way out of making sure that the assessors are competent in the mode of expedition.

I think you will find that isn’t the case in lots of wings. Some Assessors with hold NGB qualifications, as it makes sense that those are the people involved in DofE but I know loads of Assessors who don’t hold a qualification.

ACTO 74 - Annex H refers to Assessors

MB

ACTO 74 Annex G refers to ESTC

MB

So the ATC requires a half a day consolidation course to make sure we didn’t fall asleep in the day long DofE stipulated course. How can consolidation take place the following day? Where is the reflection period between the learning and the consolidation?

So my Region has provided 1 course so far, with the learning in one place and the “consolidation” in a second place, due to lack of accommodation. This will mean a 140 mile round trip, followed by a 70 mile round trip, all for free, as it is unlikely that the course will attract financial support. It also means a weekend lost in the finite number available to support Cadet activity!
The other problem is that I am working on this weekend so cannot attend!
I could contact DofE and attend a weekday course and still supervise my Cadets, but NO! That is not allowed by HQAC!
So, there is no flying and gliding and Annual Camps are limited because the RAF has no spare accommodation. Now I, an ML holder with over 30 years experience of supervising Bronze, Silver and Gold expeditions across the UK and worldwide, will not be able to supervise my Cadets whilst they attempt their expedition because HQAC place extra (and pointless, in my view!) consolidation and therefore not allowing me to take DofE led weekday training!
The RAFAC is no longer the largest Operating Authority, that honour now goes to the Scouting Association. Why are we acting like we own the DofE?
Why are we adding pointless unnecessary bureaucracy to ensure that HQAC controls everything?

This would be an authorised RAFAC activity in support of a core activity, and would therefore attract Mileage (1771) and VA

What if someone joins the Corps who has been doing DofE through an open centre and is an assessor with a many years experience, would they be expected to do this, given the DofE ticket is a DofE ticket and not anything to do with the ATC.
It does bring in the whole question of why the ATC adds its only little bits to things?

Although you hold a DofE ticket you only hold it in the LO that gave it to you, if you wish to take part in activities in a different LO you need to complete a form (it’s on the dofE website) and submit it to the LO you wish to start working with. I assume the ATC would insist that you do their made up training before they would sign that form.

:rolleyes:

Again why?
If someone can give me a clear, plain English reason why we need the extra non DofE training, I will stop whining and do the training!!

Subject to approval - and some are getting very twitchy about MMA.

1 Like

You would do the training, I doubt you would stop whinging!

Have you tried asking the Regional DofE Officer?