Blue Wings Ground Training

Ive heard people trained in 2 hours some in a day

It depends on the staff. Those with previous experience and confidence teaching aviation subjects then a couple of hours.

Starting from nothing then a morning or afternoon should be enough, but if they want to run through things more then it could be a day, but that sounds quite long to me.

Half a day feels about right, so I have been running AM and PM sessions to get staff through on a “mass” event.

One to one is a bit quicker but less effective on the trainers time…

1 Like

Fancy a trip up north :grinning:?

I’d guess you are right with ‘only just’. I did it on a laptop with internal graphics and got a frame rate around 10-15 - that was just for the demo ‘look at what happens when I wiggle the stick’; we did that en masse then they had individual sessions on our decent sim which is in quite a small room.

Am I not right in thinking that the CCF have access to decent laptops all set up for simulation that can be borrowed from HQ? Thought I saw some photos a while ago of such a system at least!

1 Like

Yes - the TEST SNCOs keep them so we can’t borrow them but we can use them on their visits. They have ruggedised portable computers rather than laptops - the laptops proved to be too slow.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. I think I saw some photos of the setups from the cluster at the muster!

At one point there was talk of being able to run the Blue session on a tablet, I don’t know what happened to that. Perhaps the lack of controller compatibility stopped it.

I will do some more research into PC specs. On laptops a base level gaming version will work, as it will have a dedicated GPU. Model of GPU matters less than the fact that it has one. Most laptops now have solid-state storage too. From the limited testing I’ve done I’ve not seen much difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM. So if I was starting over I’d be looking to get entry level gaming laptops at the £600-700 or so mark, broadly in line with what our Squadron paid for its desktop PCs a while back.

FWIW I’ve heard very positive reports on the new M1 Macs too, which aren’t badly priced for what they are (especially the Mac Mini) but that does limit it to X-Plane only.

I’ve not done any tests on Windows 11 so if anyone has please share the results.

The reality is, cadets only really need the Blue ATP ground school (sim element) if they are about to go flying, which, when coupled together will get them a blue badge.

Since flying slots are like rocking horse POO, there shouldn’t really be a rush on sqn to get them through the sim training.

We use our sim mainly for ‘fun flying’ and the blue ATP when required, (currently 8 cadets per year). Other sqns without a sim or instructors, have sent their cadets over to us for the blue ATP as and when required.

1 Like

It’s not Blue ATP Ground School, it’s First Class Flying Operations, so all cadets should be doing it anyway. That was the point.

And yes @WestlandScout the problem with tablets is we didn’t want them just doing it by tilting the tablet - a physical stick is a must. (Actually I’d forgotten that rudder could be done with keyboard - I thought we were going to say twisty stick but to be fair that is no more realistic than keyboard and twisty stick might even give them bad habits, so I think it’s a good call. Rudder pedals as a minimum spec would have been unrealistic.)

And pedals are bulky, which isn’t always taken into account.

I’ve done some testing with an external controller and sims on an iPad. It’s ok. It’s a bit esoteric, as it needs a specific type of controller, and not all software supports it. It should be easier on Android, but in all honesty it isn’t going to cost much less than a PC.

Blue ATP Ground School is First Class Flying Operations AND the Synthetic Training element, (old PTT, now Sqn sim).

Blue ATP “badge” is awarded on completion of First Class Flying Operations AND Synthetic Training (Ground School element) AND a flight at either VGS or AEF (Airborne element).

1 Like

Seems to be a load of confusion and incorrect messaging here.

The First Class Flying Operations subject can be taught by anyone (CFAV, MOI cadet).

Only the simulator bit needs someone with additional sign offs.

1 Like

Correct.

I am a late comer to this thread, but I am probably in a better position than most to answer a lot of the questions raised.

The decision to allow Sqn Staff to teach the blue wing synthetic syllabus was a hard fought battle. 2 FTS see all things flying as their possession and as such were reluctant to allow “non flying” types get involved.

The stipulation was that to be signed off the candidate must teach the correct syllabus using the approved phraseology.

As such, the trainers who are qualified to assess have to show a particular aptitude to flying the aircraft accurately, teaching and using the right words all at the same time, not as easy as it sounds.

As one of he assessors in my wing so far I have only passed 2 candidates, a c category CGI, and Red 1 of the virtual Red Arrows.

Moving onto kit, I have changed my views on kit. Having seen the Xbox in a box kit the CCF use it is just as effective and far cheaper than you average pc and is far more portable to deploy.

I am recommending the Xbox to my local units as a means of teaching the blue wing synthetic syllabus.

There is no reason why with a little work every Sqn can teach the blue wing syllabus. However it’s is also just as practical to have a couple of subject matter experts with mobile tech in each sector to deliver the training.

Thats rediculous.

4 Likes

This is a blue level/first class cadet (maybe a little above) standard training package. Either you’re being unreasonably strict, the CFAV cadre in your area are all completely incompetent or the standard expected is so far removed from the level it’s aimed at as to be unworkable. Considering 2FTS have their fingers all over it I know which I think it is.

1 Like

Then just use a freaking centrally produced video. It sounds like what you want is a frame for frame remake with each lesson anyway so just go the whole hog and provide a video, with a CFAV in the room to pause it and answer questions as necessary.

Particularly annoying as wheni took cadets to the VGS for two visits of 4 cadets on blue PTT and one visit of 3 for bronze PTT I don’t think I saw a single consistent lesson and the guy for bronze (who I believe was the OC) kept having to pause and go back because he didn’t know the lesson. If they were deemed competent to teach them any CFAV with a voice and vaguely working eyes should be able to teach it

5 Likes

We’re certainly aiming to have one qualified trainer at each squadron, i think the plan is
for us (one of four trainer assessors in the Wg) to occasionally ‘spot check’ to ensure we’re still singing from the 2FTS Hymn Sheet.

1 Like

That is insane.

That’s completely contradictory. Pick a lane, maybe?

4 Likes