Autism in the Air Cadets

It is on the RAF and Navy’s lists.

I’ve moved this to Cadet’s Questions, as it’s clearly not a topic which has been discussed solely by cadets, nor does it really need to be one.

I’ve applied to the army twice and it has been an indefinite no. I’m only the tiniest bit autistic, I don’t have aspergers. I have just applied for the RAF so I’ll let you know how that goes.

Sadly autism especially aspergers is listed under “psychiatric problems” in the notes of what precludes entry however I have seen a couple of documents and I will attach one here of why it’s not quite a black ban. Someone asked the question “Why can’t autistic people join” and got a response.

1 Like

Thats chill, I’m just looking for answers and discussion :slight_smile:

That’s really a start. The ban is never going to be completely lifted. The thing to remember is that it is a spectrum; there is a lot between somebody practically normal but with a strange affinity for rank slides and some other personality quirks wanting to be an engineer and somebody non-verbal wanting to be a Regiment officer.

Or in my friend’s case, somebody who freaks at at the smallest thing and who can’t do a single push-up wanting to be an MP Officer.

1 Like

And back on topic

1 Like

I don’t expect the ban to ever be completely lifted however in this regard I’m like everybody else I just had a diagnosis because the rest of my family have autism. I wasn’t diagnosed till 16 and the process for diagnosis right now is incredibly stupid. You go into a room and they have you read a children’s book and play kids games then after that they get really philosophical. For example at one point they started digging into my love life and asked me “what is your role in a relationship”. I said “to be there to both support and love my partner”, I then read the report on me later which said I was emotionless and lacked any empathy, this isn’t true at all and can’t be judged from doing things a 5 year old would and then a 30 year old would.

So there are some autistic people that struggle but it doesn’t mean that us high functioning autistic kids who require no help for the condition and act exactly the same as a regular person should also be banned from joining the military. All I expect is assessment case by case because each autistic kid is different. I don’t stuggle at all but then your mate stuggles a bit.

Hi I would love this information if you still have it.