Asthma and the RAF

Correct - & very useful for some elements (commercial pilots = zero time on a real airliner before carrying pax after completing their type rating). Multi-engine RAF trg for the Phenom (& larger operational aircraft), etc, fits in here for the basic operating aspects.

Also good for some elements of pilot trg, especially tactics, formation battle practice, but especially for the fast jet scenarios, the lack of synthetic “g” factor will make a big difference.

“That was one cappuccino, one skinny latte, one Earl Grey with a slice of lemon & 2 sparkling waters…” :rofl:

Even RPAS pilots do some “real” flying before moving onto the nitty-gritty stuff.

Heard a rumour that some of the early RPAS pilots might be moving to real (i.e as pilot) aircraft?

I applied to be a Voice Analyst last year, and in May 2019 sat my medical and had a similar experience with a history of asthma precluding my entry. They could try going through an appeal, which is done through the medical officers at RAFC Cranwell, who look at each case individually. Sometimes, this can have a different outcome to what CAPITA determine - so always worth a try!

Here is the CAA guidance regarding asthma for a Class 1 medical.

It would be impossible to say whether the cadet has the possibility of a civilian flying fallback without him trying for an initial Class 1. If he goes for that assessment, he will at least know the goalposts. Meanwhile, there are civilian training routes that leave you less in debt than a university degree course and in a career with massive earning potential. Even the reduced early salary if you are lucky enough to have an element of sponsorship knocks the spots of pretty much any graduate entry starter salary.

Sort of.

Only quoting British Airways procedures here.

Zero Flight Time (ZFT) training is the norm for type conversions between British Airways fleets. It is not available in two specific cases.

1. First British Airways type
  2. First wide body type

So most British Airways pilots will have the fun of doing base training on the aircraft twice in tHeir careers. I was lucky and did base training 5 times through a varietY of factors ranging from old simulators to new types not yet approved for ZFT.

ZFT only removes the base training element. You DO then fly with passengers aboard. However, your first four sectors are with a base training captain so he can verify your handling skills translate to the aircraft. After two sectors, he MAY stand down the extra fully qualified safety pilot, if he is satisfied that the trainee would be able safely to conclude a flight in the event of the training captain’s incapacitation.

Remaining training sectors (usually a minimum of 40 in total for new entrants or 20 for internal type conversions) can be flown with a line training captain.

Only after a successful final line check where the candidate shows a level of competence equal to any other inexperienced British Airways pilot will he be let loose with regular captains.

Where do you borrow the money for this though?

While I’m not the financial advisor there are several options.

• The aforementioned bank of mum and dad.
  • Many schools have access to a business loan system.
  • Modular courses are entirely doable by learning while remaining in full time employment and self financing as you go. They do not require an up front payment.

I’m sure there are other options too.

On the modular front, we have several students who fly full time and several in full time work who can only fly a couple of days a week. Both will get their licences, just not at the same pace.

1 Like

My Son has just failed his medical due to using an inhaler for allergies which can bring on asthma symptoms. He needs to be 4 years free of inhaler use. You mentioned a recruiter saying they have started accepting people with mild asthma. If this is the case is it worth him appealing, 4 years is a long time to wait.

If he has a current prescription for an inhaler it will almost always be a no-go I believe.

If you suffer from asthma or have done in the past, you cannot be considered for flying
branches in the RAF. For ground branches and trades, individuals with a past history of
asthma, wheezing or inhaler use may be eligible for service following review of the past
medical history by medical staff. If you currently have asthma symptoms or a current
prescription or you use an inhaler for asthma or wheeze (regardless of cause), you are not eligible to apply for the Royal Air Force.

That’s from the current “Medical conditions that preclude entry” document.

I am neither a Doctor or a Recruiter. I was simply told this information by the recruiter whilst we were having a cup of tea after the session.

By all means appeal, it costs you nothing and you have nothing to lose. They have already said No so the story can’t get any worse.

But if he has allergies then there is a good chance that those will preclude them from entry anyway.

From experience with former cadets this isn’t an area they like to budge on really either through the review process.

If it was just the allergies without the inhaler might of stood a better chance but I would strongly recommend you ask the careers office to appeal the medical

When I say allergies I’m talking hayfever nothing more.

It’s not the fact they have allergies it’s the effect on the breathing that will be the blocker

Thanks. We will appeal as you say nothing to loose.

Is his hay fever sorted with off the shelf antihistamines? There’s a chance an appeal may work in that case as it’s not asthma. Allergies are listed in the precluding document, but only major ones that cause anaphylaxis.

Out of interest was it aircrew they went for? If so and Due to competitiveness of obtaining roles I suggest to all my cadets they have a second career choice they are happy to do if there is one.

2 Likes

Yes if he keeps taking antihistamines to control his hayfever he doesn’t always need the inhaler

No he’s applied for vehicle technician.

1 Like