Army to ban smoking

You are aware that more than one person writes policy for the military aren’t you? This is along the same lines as “police should be out catching the real criminals not me speeding” without realising that different people do different roles…

Back to the topic however, last time I was at a base, I found more people vaping in the shelters than smoking and I think smoking has all but died out. I think vaping areas are a good idea and in time it’ll just fizzle out by itself anyway.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see how this thread has picked up on the Army banning smoking; it’s not just the Army, it’s across the whole military estate.

Smoking will be allowed in designated areas for those who live in SLAM on station, everyone else it’s a ‘no’.

A bit like drinking on a Friday lunchtime and going back to work afterwards or driving MT without a seat belt.

Things change, get over it :man_shrugging:t2: Trying to find ways around it won’t change the fact it’s happening.

3 Likes

It is amusing that are doing this now and not 20+ years ago, when it would have been more controversial and opposed.

We’ve only had 20 years more of conclusive and indisputable science to draw on now.

People were dying from lung cancer directly attributed to smoking long before then and a number of workplaces were providing smokers rooms long before legislation was introduced for prohibiting it in public buildings.
Also why not when smoking was prohibited? Too many people smoking so it would have been hard work?

Sorry, but we have known for much longer than that. First research showing there was a probable link was in the 1930s: https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/21/2/87

Out of interest, do any of your cadets smoke? (I.e. are you aware of rumours/smell on their clothing etc. - I hope they’re not smoking at the squadron!)

In our boarding school it’s almost unheard of now, as they all vape instead… much less risk of being caught. Or so they think! Used to be incredibly common, of course, and my schoolmaster’s nose is super-sensitive as a result.

None at Sqn. When I was on one.

Not noticed it for quite a while

Can’t remember the last one we had.

The sickly smell of vape “smoke” is probably more noticeable than fags.

1 Like

I knew of one but he left a few years ago now (pre-pandemic).