Anyone considering a career in the services?

But would a degree give me a better chance of joining as an officer?

1 Like

I believe in certain roles a degree allows automatic promotion to flight lieutenant, I’m not sure but this is certainly true for the army

Isn’t flight lieutenant only in the RAF?

1 Like

Flt Lt RAF = Lt RN = Capt RM/Army = NATO OF-2

Not Flt Lt - the RAF doesn’t promote differently on grad/non-grad status any more.

The only exception is for roles for which a degree is specifically required.

1 Like

Special Entrants/Re-Entrants with specific qualifications (surgeons, doctors, lawyers can and do join the RAF in the rank of Squadron Leader on a regular engagement if commissioning into a related branch) similarly for those directly-joining on RAFR/RAuxAF full or part-time TCOS.

I’m unclear as to which direct-entrant conventional-route paths which would result in someone graduating from IOT as a Flt Lt (I’m too out-of-touch with current requirements) but I feel it is possible, albeit rarely

I’m pretty sure that grads no longer get seniority in the Army - but that’s after you get there, graduates are more likely (all else considered) to get through the paper sift.

University provides opportunities that the selection process is looking for you have taken - helping to run a society or the SU, as well as all the other stuff.

It’s not just the academic stuff…

Mate this is from the RoyalNavy Website:

• Aged 18 to 25 when you start Basic Training
  • You need 72 UCAS points
  • If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 5 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language and Maths; before 2017, you need 5 at grades A*– C

Sadly the truth is, although they accept UCAS points and it’s is possible without a Degree, It’s not the best course of action, as you will likely struggle with aspects of the Potential Officers Course and Royal Marines officer training.

A lot of lads (even with degrees) fail POC and there’s no shame in it, as they go on to attempt PRMC and passout as Other Ranks.

Go in with an open mind, look at RM Officer and Other Ranks as a Marine. As an officer you are more of a manager rather than a door kicker. Consider all your options… (all options except the RAF Regiment… :wink: )

There is an option to get a Corps Commision later in your RM Career, once you reach SNCO you can apply for a Corps Commission and become an Officer.

1 Like

I wouldn’t encourage him to waste his money.

It’s possible to train for RM without any fancy gym membership or any of those ego wannabe BMF lot.

3 pull-ups is a good effort. But you will need at least 5 on your PRMC. And it’s strict on form.
You perform the Press-ups, sit ups and pull-up tests to a beep. It’s slower and more controlled but harder.

If you really don’t want to go to Uni, there’s nothing wrong with applying, aslong as you have he UCAS points. But all people who have passed POC and RM Officer training have helped highlighted that it helps.

All the information for the POC can be found on that link.
Remember the fitness standards are higher for Officers. As RM Officers you will be expected to lead from the front. But bear in mind we don’t expect you to be superman fit at the start of training. That’s what recruit training is for. We just need to see if you have that mindset, then the rest will come.

Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it

1 Like

Possible of course, but it’s often easier in a group. It’s a worthwhile option that may work for some.

And unless their recruitment policy has changed significantly in the last year or two, they’re not “wannabes”, all are current or former serving.

There are certainly a few bloaters that have over indulged in their CV or down right lied to civvies. Even a few that ended up in court for inappropriate behaviour.

The problem with BMF and similar is if it’s not properly maintained and managed it just turns into a beasting which serves nothing more than boosting the ego of the instructor.

There’s many circuits and training programmes out there, for free. And one of the characteristics of a potential RM is to go out and crack on, without group motivation. There won’t be any group motivation on the PRMC or POC.

This thread is currently dominated by this and will probably make it uneasy for anyone who wants to join other branches. Maybe a sub threat or a split, for each branch of the Forces?