Ammo Boots?

He could, but wearing bulled shoes to school probably ain’t the most sensible idea! :stuck_out_tongue:

Go for the half-way house solution, pair of leather-soled Oxfords = posh DMS. Get second layer of sole leather stitched on (for rigidity & keeps feet warmer/drier in winter, add metal toe tips & metal “horse shoe” heel, beeswax the toecaps. Very durable - had 2 pairs that lasted well over 10 years, & got a very good price when I sold them on too.

I go for a triple or quadruple sole, but that’s coz I’m a short ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I though that in 1970 you’d done ten years in the Air Force Mike?

He could, but wearing bulled shoes to school probably ain’t the most sensible idea! :stuck_out_tongue:

Go for the half-way house solution, pair of leather-soled Oxfords = posh DMS. Get second layer of sole leather stitched on (for rigidity & keeps feet warmer/drier in winter, add metal toe tips & metal “horse shoe” heel, beeswax the toecaps. Very durable - had 2 pairs that lasted well over 10 years, & got a very good price when I sold them on too.[/quote]

Surely, (engaging pedant mode) applying the letter of the regs, cadets and staff can’t wear leather soled shoes in no.2 dress? Oxfords are authorised for no.1s, (but I don’t wear mine as they refuse to polish as nicely as my DMS), but only DMS shoes are authorised for No.2

DMS means Direct Moulded Sole, so can only be made of rubber?

I don’t particularly care, but it is an interesting thought.

Personally, haven worn Ammo Boots for re-enactment purposes and film extra work, I wouldn’t wear them in the ACO for love nor money. Awful things.

Officers and WOs can wear oxfords in No2 dress. If a cadet buys oxfords, I’m not going to argue with them, they don’t get them issued. So seems just the “underclass” of staff, SGT & FS (ATC) who can’t, hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“juliet mike” post=19418]Officers and WOs can wear oxfords in No2 dress. If a cadet buys oxfords, I’m not going to argue with them, they don’t get them issued. So seems just the “underclass” of staff, SGT & FS (ATC) who can’t, hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I stand corrected. Seems I wasn’t being a hypocrite when I wore mine as working shoes in No.2 (But I am breaking the rules by wearing DMS Shoes in No.1, oh well, I’d rather have shiny shoes wrong shoes than dull correct ones.)

Not quite, Jan 76 was when I started (at Swinderby as it happens - Aircrew Cadet!). Now, the DIs there had proper ammo boots, much to our annoyance after spending hours “bumping” the floors! :wink:

(The large tins of solid brown polish were much, much better than the tins of blue, thin liquid gunk!)

What’s the difference between Oxfords and DMS, i’ve never been able to work it out. Any pictures?

Strictly speaking, DMS are Oxford-style shoes.

But in an RAF-uniform perspective, the DMS shoes are the rubber-soled ones (DMS stands for directly-moulded sole) and Oxfords are leather-soled.

Ah makes sense. Just because one of the new cadets got new shoes (rubber sole, so I assume DMS) but the box said Oxford

Its the style of the shoe that is “Oxford” .A proper Oxford should have a leather sole.As to Ammo boots I havnt seen them since the 1970s when a couple of cadet NCOs wore them when I was a cadet.Mind the floor of the sqn was bare flagstones and the burglar alarm was tin cans tied together with string.

Used to wear them as a cadet on the Isle of Wight - slipping & sliding (with sparks) down a big hill to get to the sqn.

Also useful when certain “minority” groups - mods / rockers / whatever - decided that you were worthy of a bit more interest than just saying hello across the road… :grin:

2 Likes