1st Class Training Ideas

As one of the cadet NCOs on my squadron I help to run the recruit training program twice a year. Currently, the only materials we use are the general HQAC issued ones (basically the PowerPoints) and after running the training twice it doesn’t seem to be having the desired effects of motivating and educating the cadets, often the only thing they come out of it remembering is drill. So I’m thinking of using the HQAC presentations to make some of my own which are more relevant to the book so that we have more time for practical exercises. Any ideas or help? Thanks!

1 Like

I have done just that and remade a lot of the content last year to make it more interesting. You can find it all here:

http://training.staffswing.org.uk/cadet-training-system-files

Each section includes step by step plans on how to deliver the lesson properly, PowerPoints that actually explain the content covered with detailed notes and other activities to reinforce the things the cadets are being taught.

A lot of it is designed to be printed, so you may need a lot of ink! :slight_smile:

I also wrote a revision guide (which I am currently updating for the new badge syllabus) which cadets can use if they miss a session. You can find this here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DMekQmfP_GdGFrUTV4U29TTUE/view

Again, I have printed a few of these off so cadets can look whilst they are doing their training at their own pace, rather than staring at a screen.

I’m sure there are others on here that will also have some ideas, so take what you can and make it your own!

2 Likes

I actually was just looking through the revision guide on there which looks much better than what we currently have! I’ll definitely look into it, thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, this is great stuff, especially the revision guide.I thank you for sharing. Do you have any materials for other classifications?

Many thanks,

Not at the moment, but it’s something I am working on! :slight_smile:

Can I just say you really have annoyed me I have spent the last year as the Cadet Basic Training Officer on my squadron rewriting the PowerPoints instructor notes etc. And everything I’ve looked at of yours is 1000X better! :triumph::joy: do you also mind if I use this on my squadron as this is some really good content that looks like it took a very long time to make!

I’m currently trying to put together some 1st class training material.

The system we’re running is to split the training in to three phases, and at the end of each phase split the cadets in to those who need some extra training to fully grasp all of what was taught in the phase, and those who will just be practising what they’ve learnt.

I could do with a few ideas for involved training for those are practising, specifically after the second phase of training. At that point, the cadets will have learnt about radio comms, map reading and airmanship (along with the ATC, uniform and drill in the first phase).

Does anyone have anything kicking around?

are you looking for tasks that test for Radio, map reading and airmanship?

Yes, essentially (or a combination therein)

For example, this is one exercise I already have (shamelessly stolen from someone, but I’ve forgotten who!)20190914-MAR-2-119-Ch1-AnB-Ap2-Ex_AIRFIELD_WATCH_O.pdf (39.5 KB)

PowerPoint at https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/TRAINING/1st%20Class/Radio%20Communications/MAR-2-119R9%20-%20Airfield%20Watch%20Recce.pptx

ah ok.

i had an idea and remember trying to run it many years ago now.

basically it was a “day walk” within 30 minutes.
Radio team 1 transmitted movement orders to Radio team 2
the movement orders were simply following walking route from A to B

For instance
MRA02 this is MRA01 from your location take the path bearing 030 until you reach woods

every 1 minute elapsed in real time is 10 minutes on a map - ie if a leg between A to B would take 20 minutes to walk = 2 minutes in real “exercise” time

thus after the 2 minutes
MRA01 this is MRA02 we have reached the woods

there were then questions on this, what did you see along the route?
answers could include, Golf course, downward slope, church tower in distance etc
and then another instruction

MRA02 this is MRA01 we have you on radar, continue East along railway line/canal for your extraction

the Situation could be ever changing because these persons are downed pilots behind enemy lines and the area gets ever more dangerous for an extraction to take place requiring them to keep moving to safer zones for helicopter landing.

skills used
Radio
map reading
route planning

• not sure how to add the airmanship elements but with some thought it could be worked in??
1 Like

Doesn’t have to include all elements, so not a problem.

I quite like it, I might even work Google street view into it

Sorted (although not tested yet):

I went for a sort of Black-Hawk-Down-in-Birmingham scenario (as if being shot down wasn’t distressing enough!)

Scenario:

Maps: https://aircadetcentral.net/ACCDrive/TRAINING/1st%20Class/Radio%20Communications/MAR-2-119R10%20-%20Birmingham%20Maps.docx

4 Likes

Sorry to resurrect the thread.

Looking at doing some 1st training over a weekend, including leadership, IET and navigation.

What RAs, quals, Cadet:staff ratio is needed if we stay in tents overnight in the compound

You’ll need a RA for setting up and sleeping in tents and if you are cooking, one for stoves. It might be worth checking up the chain (if you haven’t already) depending if it’s a joint cadet unit and if other units use the site. Ratios are more difficult but you’d want staff with appropriate camping/first aid qualifications as well as supervisory staff.