After the Tutor?

Be careful with language! The Alternative (Emergency) Spin Recovery is not ‘let go of everything’ - opposite rudder must be maintained while aileron and elevator is released.

1 Like

Indeed. I’m surprised it doesn’t mention going back to Full Pro Spin controls first either, which should never do any harm (and seeing as, IIRC, it’s always practiced from a stable spin).

Eh??? Rudder opposes the yawing moment (applied first due to possible blanking effect of rudder with forward elevator) then forward elevator reduces angle of attack to install the wings.

Really! AEF pilots have 10,000 hours, whereas civil pilots have 100 hours. How many AEF pilots have 10,000 hours? Does 10,000 hours make you an ace? In that case I am a double ace!

Yes, the AEFs have always had it easy with full time paid staff (although I have always had great difficulty getting anyone on the phone) VGSs operated with no paid full time staff, I know this because I was a VGS adjutant.

Yeah, you see what I mean about a lot of pilots not really having much understanding of spinning. It is a very complex subject. and nothing is as you think.

The only full time paid member of an AEF is the OC and he will most probably be flying cadets.

I’d like you to stand in front of 12 AEF commanders and say they have it easy!

[quote=“XN150, post:64, topic:2939”]
AEF pilots have 10,000 hours, whereas civil pilots have 100 hours. How many AEF pilots have 10,000 hours? Does 10,000 hours make you an ace? In that case I am a double ace!
[/quote] we currently have 3 however most of our ex mil, civilian airline pilots have between 5000 and 8000hours

Mere beginers! :slight_smile:

Ditto for you to stand in front of 12 VGS OCs, oh, wait a minute, we don’t have them any more.

I never said VGS OCs had it easy. neither did i allude to the fact. I know how hard guys at a VGS work.

I think the dissection of both aerodynamic and inertia/gyroscopic moments in the spin are a little beyond the scope of this thread.:slightly_smiling_face:

What Nickel has said isn’t fundamentally incorrect, it’s just with everything in the spin, if you take it to the n’th degree every action has a secondary or even tertiary effect on the spin and/or recovery.

I agree, every aircraft type is different and every part of the entry and recovery is different. It is not simple.

Back in my shell.

1 Like

Back on topic :grinning:, having looked at the airframe suggested, weight margins seem a little tight. Basic figures (for the electric) don’t seem to give much change in crew weight above what most Tutors offer, and aeroplanes, particularly composite ones, only tend to put weight on.:slight_smile:

OK so I’ve imagined the Harrier, Lightning, Phantom, Hunter, V Bombers, Jaguar etc going out of service, stations that these operated out of closing and squadrons disbanding or reforming with a different type, all in my lifetime.

Leaving Typhoon, Tornado and Hawks. If the pilots of these 3 types are doing the same hours flying as any combination of the above, they will be doing very well.

Not only but also, the number of pilots in the RAF has also decreased if I’m not mistaken.

You miss my point - I wasn’t talking about numbers (I should have unquoted “less and less” - although incidentally pilot recruitment now is at its highest level for quite some time, if not for well over a decade), just the assertion that fast jet flying is the only thing that differentiates being RAF aircrew as opposed to this outside.:slight_smile:

I would imagine the recruitment is up as after the cur and moratorium they need some new ones, not because there is going to be a sudden increase in RAF flying. But then it will still be 2-3 years before they become effective.

It’s actually mix of both. Pilot recruitment was turned back on in 2013 with those trainees entering flying training in late 2014/early 2015. Subsequently SDSR15, and the procurement decisions made (which come on line 4-5 years down the line from then, such as P-8), combined with the outflow to civvy-land led the requirement to ramp up recruitment significantly.

Of course, had the crystal ball been available in 2010 it may have been different and more of a steady state. But it wasn’t, and as the famous note said, there was “no money left” so immediate cost savings were attractive.

6AEF are currently ‘having it easy’ by losing their OC and having no replacement - one of the volunteers will hold the fort for now but they definitely work hard.

10 AEF also has no OC and is being held together by… well… me!!!

Good job you’re not flying cadets, then! :wink:

And don’t we who are supposedly serviced by 5 AEF know it.

As someone who has to push the notion of flying when kids join and has to fend off questions from parents who have heard the spin, I would sooner the cadets get the chance to fly and get that experience, rather than the almost ‘we’re doing you a favour’ attitude of the flying community in the Corps.

As for the other points you raise, protectionist rubbish. You come across like a union leader / shop steward and the nonsense they spout when presented with other ways of doing things.

As a customer ie the cadets, the AEF model we have had for years is broken and they need something that works and gives them the experience they deserve. I don’t know what you do for a day job, but if the sort of service we get from the AEF set up currently wouldn’t be tolerated as KPIs and SLAs would be missed and customers would go elsewhere, therefore no job. Fortunately for those involved in AEFs, the RAF, they make it so we can’t go elsewhere.