AEF Instructor

PS no such thing as an AEF instructor; you’d be an AEF pilot. In theory it’s something like CPL + aerobatic rating + additional training by the RAF.

Many AEF pilots are RAF (UAS) QFIs but that’s not required.

I knew of 2 Sqn OC’s who were AEF Pilots.

all before CFC, so both were RAF VR(T) at the time.

my gut reaction would be “no”. Would an ACF officer who helped out on a Sqn be a SI?

(maybe not now they’re technically CFC, but historically? :thinking:)

I am aware of some exceptional former VGS Staff (ex-Vigi, I think) who have gone AEF pilot via the SQEP route, and do so as VRT, wearing VR NSP wings.

In theory they could be an SI on an ATC Sqn or CCF contingent- surely?

Yeah your right I can think of 2 ex 663 VGS Instructors whom are now VR wing badged and are pilots with 12 AEF

Ok, so the person mentioned in the article works fo Babcock as a pilot and assists the UAS’ as a QFI. There are no QFIs on an AEF apart from the OC unless a recently retired UAS QFI transitions to an AEF where they can maintain their skill set. To become a QFI on the Tutor you need to have completed the 6 month QFI course at Wittering, unless you have been a previous service QFI and just left the regulars where its a 3 month refresher. UAS QFIs are either full time serving or FTRS. AEF pilots do not instruct as they haven’t done the QFI course. Also, it wouldn’t be financially viable to have a PTV on a 6 month QFI course without a contract of some sorts.

WRT supernumerary posts etc it gets a bit complicated. As an AEF pilot you need to come under QRs for flying military aircraft and the same for civilian aircraft for military use so would need to have a VRT commission as they still come under QRs however, you could still hold a CFC commission but you’d have to swap your rank slides every time you flew at an AEF. From experience the best and simplest way (and this is how we do it) is to have the AEF as your primary role (VRT) then attend your local cadet unit as a supernumerary (still VRT) and you are not classed a an SI as you are not a regular. This satisfies all camps (HQAC & 6FTS) and you can still claim VA and HTD for both but within a single 28 days max.

For a commercial pilot to join an AEF the requirements are as follows:
Minimum CPL or service brevet
Minimum 500 hrs SEP (none ex mil)
Be able to pass a flying ability test.
There is also the requirement to pass the standard Tutor conversion course and be approved by 6FTS and hold a VRT commission.

Many years ago the doors were opened for VGS instructors to join AEFs as pilots. We had 3 or 4 at the time and they were excellent.

3 Likes

Not sure how the Babcock Pilot had an affiliation with the University Air Squadron, as I also only knew of the Qualified Service Pilot route into 6fts, however, I recently enquired about joining an AEF at my old University Air Squadron. A Squadron leader advised me of an option for UAS Students (who are commercially qualified) who could soon take up a flying role within the RauxAF?
I was seeking to utilise my EFT proficiency on the Tutor 115e in joining an AEF, I am not necessarily interested in the QFI route as its more advanced, but saw this post and wondered what is the application process and mechanism to join an AEF, if possible? I have emailed the ATC site flying enquires line, but no response, is this to say there is no AEF joing route?

Lots of confusion here, and I wouldn’t say I am totally au fait with the current rules, but in general AEF pilots must either have been QSP at some stage, or hold a CPL/ATPL with minimum hours etc as above. UAS budgie wings aren’t enough.

Very few people have done the CPL>AEF conversion process, although coincidentally I’m flying with one of them on Monday so I can ask him.

Bottom line is, contact your local AEF and ask. Which is your nearest?

You wouldn’t be RAuxAF as an AEF pilot, you’d be RAFVR(T) (like CFAVs used to be!) Still technically a reservist, though. (As a UAS cadet you were also part of the RAFVR.)

(edited to add, don’t ask RAFAC or the ATC about joining as an AEF pilot - they won’t know. 6FTS is part of the RAF not RAFAC.)

3 Likes

So the requirements for non-ex QSPs to apply are

1. CPL or Service Flying Badge
  2. By exception, pilots with 500hrs SEP/light aircraft will be considered subject to a positive flying ability test and interview.
  3. Volunteers are to be commissioned into the VRT
  4. Be able to commit a minimum of 40 hours pa.

The best course of action is to contact your local AEF.

Please note: AEF pilots are not instructors.

2 Likes

And don’t forget the RAF medical standards requirement

exactly this!

It precluded me and at least one other i know even considering the VGS knowing we’d not pass simply because our medical records tick a box, not because we’re a medical risk

1 Like

Tempting… have we discovered that 8th day in the week yet?

Is that CPL / QSP & 500 hours SEP, or either of those requirements?

I wear glasses, but have a perfectly healthy class 1 medical, presumably that would mean I’d fail an RAF Aircrew medical?

A Class 1 medical gives you a waiver for AEF pilot duties. A military AME still has to review your medical history though….

1 Like

No. It’s either or both however the more SEP you have, even if you have a CPL, would be beneficial.

2 Likes

As 109115 mentioned, if you fly on an AEF with a class 1, the military AME (initially the PMB at Cranwell) reviews your medical docs and, if satisfactory, they issue an initial waiver. At each class 1 renewal point, you’d then go to your parent unit med centre to see the SMO who would then review your documents and sign you fit for another year.

As a note, you no have to provide eyesight and hearing tests for review as the class 1 minimums are slightly different than those of the military but we have plenty of AEF guys that wear glasses or contact lenses to fly.

3 Likes

how would the VR(T) commission affect volunteering at our normal units - do we become service helpers?

Pretty sure you get both commissions and change hat accordingly

Your primary role would change to the AEF and VRT. You could, if you wanted to, go supernumary at your ATC unit however, as an example, unless you hold the rank of a Flt Lt time served, you’d relinquish that rank and become a Fg Off. Under certain circumstances, you could hold both commissions and you would wear the higher rank on the AEF. HQRAFAC would be able to clarify that for you.

The only paid Flt Lt posts on the AEFs apart from OC are the Deputy Flight Commanders and the Adjutant. AEFs do have time served Flt Lts as we still come under the regulations of the VRT.

It’s worth bearing in mind that you can’t commence convex training onto the Tutor until your VR(T) commission is confirmed….

If you’re coming in as a CI or from outside the org then this means having to wait until your initial course is done at Cranwell. This whole process could take 18 months.

WRT becoming a supernumerary as a VR(T) officer at an air cadet squadron, HQRAFAC have no mechanism for doing this. It was up to the Wing under which the ATC unit fell to appoint me as Flt Lt RAFAC on Bader to get around the issue. This took almost two years to achieve…!
It’s worth noting that I don’t hold an RAFAC commission and my service was reduced to zero upon appointment as a supernumerary despite being commissioned for over 30 years and an adult volunteer for over 35 years.