Activities in this heat!

Two reasons:
1: - Hydration has huge benefits to to physiological and psychological wellbeing (even if it’s just keeping you more alert, therefore productive)

2: - I don’t need to, I want to

1 Like

Is this the same as your theory that building sites aren’t dangerous, because you played on them as a kid and weren’t killed?

7 Likes

Ah, the classics.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the lack of noncing - and the fact that absolutely no one died when they had proper winters back in the 60’s…

8 Likes

What was the population change in that time, vastly increased I suspect.

Not vast, population in the mid-70’s was around 55 million, by 2003 it was about 59/60 million - the massive increase on fatalities was as a result of the dramatically aged population. In 76 most blokes were lucky to get to 70, and women to 75, but by 2003 blokes were getting to 80 and women 85. Heat (and cold) negatively affects the old, so because there lots of old people, lots of old people died. In 76 they were dead 5 or 10 years previously…

2 Likes

That’s a bit harsh, I know some throughly nice morons :joy:

1 Like

Don’t you think the hydration thing has been due to some health “expert” saying people should drink more, then drink businesses exploiting this? What a good job they made of it, as who’d have thought that people could be duped into buying water and flavoured water drinks at a ridiculous premium, when they have taps in houses, offices and no doubt bottles of squash if they want some flavour. One of the women at work, bought a bottle of water with a ‘capsule’ of flavouring, that you had to pierce and shake to get the flavour. It reminded me of a childhood of Smiths salt and shake.

Proportionality people.
We’ve had summer weather for a couple of weeks, no doubt soon to be followed by a cold wet spell with I expect flooding. Relish the warm weather while we can, as it won’t last

While people may like to scoff, but as kids we played in places that are now covered in signs, CCTV and fencing and yes none of us were killed and if kids were, in a world without social media and 24/7 news, no one outside of say 10 mile radius saw or heard anything, which is how it should be IMO. If anyone local to us did, we didn’t see it as happening to us.

It is a fact of life that people die. I’ve had good friends die who are a couple years either side of me and it is sobering.

It’s bound to rain 7-14 July as I’m on a tented camp.

1 Like

So why did the government feel the need to produce all sorts of public information films in the 70’s?? Films like “The Fatal Floor”, which urged you not to polish floors and put rugs on them??? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

So as a pre-teen / teen you are going to take any notice of something like a public information film about rugs? Aside from the famous ones I don’t remember any of them, as I was probably out playing.
Teenage boys and girls for that matter should be doing more than watching tele or things on phones.