2FTS records preventing Air Cadets Flying in private Flying Clubs with own

Does ACTO35 allow this, I wonder…

1 Like

This really does boggle the mind. Cadets going flying overseas, cadets getting a flight at an air show, but we can’t organise them to fly/glide locally.

5 Likes

You are the responsibility of the hosting cadet force during IACE

Bizarre situation

Is it?

Your in an exchange so subject to the hosts rules & regulations.

I’m British, so can drink at 18, but if I go to the US I have to be 21.

The program isn’t approved by all 15 exchanging nations it would be a disaster.

1 Like

I mean in the context of flying with private clubs. It makes the assurance argument (even more) illogical.

1 Like

Not really because e the assurance is all about responsibility, if it’s a different countries Cadet Force organising then that risk sits firmly with someone else.

You mean just like the regulation and risk associated with flying in civilian aircraft is firmly with the CAA not RAFAC :joy:

6 Likes

Parents, headlines, and the public won’t see that though.

It does somewhat quash the assurance argument, because it’s still cadets being allowed to fly in non internally assured aircraft/locations. The risk bearing is only one facet of that equation.

The more granular comparison/inplication is that we don’t trust the UK Aviation Industry standards, but are willing to trust others’ standards - the response why? Essentially “because we’re not taking the blame if it goes wrong”. That’s a worse stance on risk mitigation than using UK based clubs!

6 Likes

Does Haddon Cave ring a bell with 2FTS?

1 Like

Interesting vid today on Insta and shared by RAFAC showing cadets on IACE flying in civilian aircraft including some vintage types. How can they justify this when they won’t allow aircraft and instructors regulated by the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority to fly cadets?

Double standards.

They’ll pull out the old card that they are operating under the guidance of the country they are in; bet it wasn’t the UK :man_shrugging:t2:

Correct, it is no different to one of the Baltic Guard Cadets getting behind an L98A2 when in the UK, despite in some cases not being allowed to shoot anything more than an air rifle at home.

Different orgs rules.

What’s really really annoying is that they use videos like this to encourage new recruits to the organisation, and it’s then left to squadron staff to explain to new recruits why they’ve got bugg3r all chance of gliding or flying in civvie aircraft.

6 Likes

No different to HQAC putting out all encompassing recruitment video, showing every activity possible, and a squadron only being able to deliver 50% due to quals, staffing, uptake from cadets, etc

1 Like

Done by recruiters & marketers since time immemorial.

How many of us were told volunteering was “only a couple of hours a week” or a posting would be “only for six months”

Even the met police latest recruitment video has had comments that it’s only showing “the sexy side of policing”

1 Like