2023 Reading List - non fiction

Randomly came across a Mosquito prop attached the side of a buiding in Copenhagen a few years ago on a weekend away. Intrigued did a bit of research and it was from an aircraft that hit a lamp post on a low level raid in 1945, Operation Carthage.

The Sixth Floor by Robin Reilly tells the story and I found an interesting read.

2 excellent books

Seaking down

1 Like

Agreed a good one!

Tim Bouquet wrote a good book regarding the Tornado Going to war with the Dambusters 617 Interesting read of the last deployment to Afghanistan before 617 stood down.

.image

Tony Sutton ex Co of 1Squadron and his book Typhoon. Excellent book of his time leading 1 Squadron and taking them to war over the Middle East.

Book books give credit to the Squadron Warrant Officers for keeping it all together.

1 Like

Totally agree on James Holland, his books on the Battle of Britain and the Dambusters are outstanding. Just to add Anthony Beevor and his books Stalingrad and Berlin, the latter has reflections of what has been happening in Ukraine. Then there is Laurence Rees book on Auschwitz. The last two are no easy reads.

I more or less read Stalingrad in one sitting (ok I was on holiday). Need to reread Berlin.

1 Like

Another I read this year - perhaps inspired by James Holland & Al Murray’s “We have ways” podcast - was The 21 Escapes of Lt Alastair Cram by David M. Guss.

An absolutely fascinating insight into life as a PoW and the courage, graft, determination, quick wittedness and humour needed to un-PoW yourself and go on the run. Whilst the book does focus on Lt Cram, it also touches a number of other characters from WW2, what motivates them and how they dealt with confinement and routine. Or not.

Another excellent book which follows a similar PoW theme - but from a slightly different perspective, Felice Benuzzi’s No Picnic on Mount Kenya followed 3 Italian PoWs who escape a British PoW camp to attempt to scale Mt Kenya. Very adventurey with, again, done incredible insights into the mindset of PoWs and the ingenious and creative methods of making and sourcing kit for, not only an escape, but am epic adventure beyond it.

That podcast costs me a fortune in book recommendations,

I wish James would get round to writing the final volume of War in the West.

1 Like

I can firmly recommend ‘over the brink and back’ by Peter Rowlands, he was a Mountain Guide who was caught in an avalanche, told that in time he might be able to communicate by blinking and made a tremendous recovery back to fitness.

Cinderella Boys - the forgotten force that won the Battle of the Atlantic by Leo McKinstry - a gripping book full of recounts from the day and details the struggles of each of it’s commanders

1 Like

Can’t Hurt Me - David Goggins

I’m about halfway through and finding it exceptionally relatable. It’s labeled as a self-help book, but it’s much more just an autobiography with a few questions at the end of each chapter.

Chap had quite the extreme upbringing, which is a fascinating read. I’m just at the stage where he’s graduated from US Navy Seals training.

Storm Front by Rowland White.

It’s about the war in the 70s in Oman which the British forces did not take part in! Well worth a read.

The SAS veterans have campaigned for years that Sgt Labalaba should receive the VC for his actions at the Battle of Mirbat, he was, in the end, awarded an MID.

British Naval Intelligence Through The Twentieth Century by Andrew Boyd

British Naval Intelligence through the Twentieth Century by Andrew Boyd: Very Good Paperback (2020) | WorldofBooks

This is a serious work of scholarship, all 675 pages of it. Although the electronic version is available at lower cost, I would recommend the hard copy to get best value from it.

The book starts by describing the origins of the Naval Intelligence Department (NID) in the late 19th century and then covers its development in the years prior to World War 1. Chapter 5, “Trafalgar or Economic Warfare” is quite thought provoking. There are a number of parallels with the present situation vis-à-vis Russia.

The next sections cover World War 1 and the interwar years. There is a temptation to skip the latter and go to the halfway point and the start of World War 2. Try to resist it as there is a great deal in the section that helps one appreciate what comes later.

The World War 2 section is thorough and casts ann interesting new light on some generally held beliefs. The role of coastal command and its importance is acknowledged. How many realise that for the first part of the conflict, photo reconnaissance was the responsibility of coastal command? The primacy sometimes accorded to sigint is examined alongside technological and tactical developments. Whilst sigint was undeniably important, many conventional actions had an equal or greater effect. The origins of the sigint sharing agreements with the USA are clearly explained and these of course persist in some form or other to the present day.

The post war and cold war period is well covered and contains some significant information not previously available. Boyd covers the origins and development of the American SOSUS system in some detail. He also explains the UK involvement and its tactical applications by both air and naval forces.

Maritime security remains of primary concern to the UK. Whether you believe that the cancellation of the Nimrod MRA4 was the right decision or not is a personal matter. FWIW, I think it was but let’s not go into that now. What was inconceivable was not initiating an immediate programme to furnish an alternative. Did no one think to remind David Cameron that we live on an island?

To summarise, a work that covers a great sweep of history and requires a bit of application to digest all of it. However if you have an interest in maritime matter then this book is essential reading.

exmpa

Recently read The Tank War by Mark Urban. Follows the story of 5RTR from the fall of France to endex.

Not a dry regimental history but about the men who fought their way across N Africa, France and on to Germany.

1 Like

James Holland did the same thing for the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, was a really good book.

2 Likes

I’ll need to add that to this year’s list!

1 Like

Read this a few years ago, agreed. Especially the Market Garden chapter where the action takes place where Day 3 route passes.

1 Like

I’m also adding Hollands’ The Savage Storm to my list (battle for Italy). Can’t recommend it yet as I’m going to wait for the paperback I think.