You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

[quote=“Leeroy” post=9679]Spent a day doing WHTs… I now have to input each one onto SMS individually…

This GMGs[/quote]
I remember trialling SMS YEARS ago and we flagged batch updating as an absolute requirement… sigh…

[quote=“Batfink” post=9680][quote=“Leeroy” post=9679]Spent a day doing WHTs… I now have to input each one onto SMS individually…

This GMGs[/quote]
I remember trialling SMS YEARS ago and we flagged batch updating as an absolute requirement… sigh…[/quote]

Isn’t this on the project for the ABRT?

Yeah I remember that being a must years ago. Shame though that its not happened yet

Assuming ABRT means “Admin Burden Reduction Team”? I hope so. I bulk upload of information to SMS for WHTs/Swimming Proficiency/YFA etc etc would be grand

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=9681]Isn’t this on the project for the ABRT?[/quote]I’m not seeing it on the lists but it may be. It probably ought to be too but may already be an assigned project witting with the Bader team.

The fact that every activity needs OC approval on Bader. Really irritating when he’s in Lanzarote…

[/quote]

Yeah, I know. But it’s even more irritating when I need his approval to run Nijmegen Training, which he has nothing whatsoever to do with.

Apart from him being the OC? Its him that WHQ will come down on if the unit does something wrong so its him that has to be satisfied his staff are doing things correctly!

I refer you to my previous post :wink:

Apart from him being the OC? Its him that WHQ will come down on if the unit does something wrong so its him that has to be satisfied his staff are doing things correctly!

I refer you to my previous post ;-)[/quote]

Well, he’s not really the OC. I run Nijmegen for the wing, but as I only have access to my unit’s SMS I have to create the approvals through that. If there was a problem at training it would definitely come down on me, so I should be able to sign off my own activities for appproval. Or, have a separate SMS account or something similar.

What also gets my goat is that you cannot edit Activities post-approval in anyway whatsoever.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=9692]Well, he’s not really the OC. I run Nijmegen for the wing, but as I only have access to my unit’s SMS I have to create the approvals through that. If there was a problem at training it would definitely come down on me, so I should be able to sign off my own activities for appproval. Or, have a separate SMS account or something similar.

Then get the WATTO to sort it out for you. I’m sure the system exists to allow that[/quote]

Really? Just think about that statement. My WATTO is flexible and will “unapprove” something to allow a minor change to take place before “re-approving” it. All it takes is a phone-call.

PPPPPP old chap.

When is this due to happen, if it’s in the the next couple of weeks that’s your poor admin. I’m sure he’s not in Lanzarote forever. Also hats off to him, I know two local OCs who look at all things cadet when they’re on holiday, I know because I’ve had emails and calls from them when I know they’re on holiday. My staff know well enough that I won’t look at emails or do anything associated with the ATC when I’m holiday if I go away or not.

A recent OC of ours worked month-on, month-off in Baku and struggled to get access when he was there. This meant that it was a nightmare to get anything done for half the year.

Planning is one thing, but when wing kicks an activity back for extra info (sometimes pointless, trivial info) only the OC can re-submit. Also, if it is a short-notice activity or if a unit struggles to get staff cover (or cadet assistance) until quite late in the day it can leave you in a pickle.

Grinding my gears Sunday drivers out midweek :mad:

[quote=“incubus” post=9702]A recent OC of ours worked month-on, month-off in Baku and struggled to get access when he was there. This meant that it was a nightmare to get anything done for half the year.

Planning is one thing, but when wing kicks an activity back for extra info (sometimes pointless, trivial info) only the OC can re-submit. Also, if it is a short-notice activity or if a unit struggles to get staff cover (or cadet assistance) until quite late in the day it can leave you in a pickle.[/quote]

Thankyou. This week’s activity needed a public liability certificate from the organisers. I got it, but the boss is now away. So the PIPE is stuck in Limbo. The whole point of me being OC is that he delegates his responsibilities so he can go away and have a holiday.

I’m not sure that extends to SMS which is where the authorisation of activities lay. The joys of ewow.

Watching BBC weather forecasts they seem to like using more words than necessary, instead of saying for instance it’s going to be warmer or colder, which have served me well to describe temperature movement, they say it’s going to be less cold or less hot/warm. Is this a form of dumbing down?

Grinds my gears, everyone wanting their pound of flesh even when they know I am already stretched, dealing with a draining situation…who do I turn to when everyone is turning to me?

The fact that HTC have sent my phone back un-repaired three times so far really GMG.

EDF spelling my (very common) name incorrectly on my new account is also annoying but not nearly as inconvenient.

[quote=“jacques” post=10299]The fact that HTC have sent my phone back un-repaired three times so far really GMG.

EDF spelling my (very common) name incorrectly on my new account is also annoying but not nearly as inconvenient.[/quote]

Well EDF is a French company if you think thats bad how do you think I feel working for them? lol