You know what really grinds my gears? The Gears Strike Back

I was about to say the same thing Admiral!

Of course, the ‘congestion’ bit is useful and anyone who uses the M25 and its feeders (and elsewhere in the UK I Guess) will know.

I would like to see some sort of cattle prod for lane hoggers.

The worst people are the ones that sit in the “fast lane” or move into it thinking its magically going to be faster.

USE LANES PROPERLY. Its the normal lane of traffic and an over taking lane.
On motorways theres an extra overtaking lane to use. But move back into the lane of traffic safely.

It winds me up when people cant drive on motorways or dual carriageways. The current driver training is appalling and far too easy and doesnt tackle relevant stuff.

My driving improved tenfold after taking my HGV and getting that under my belt, with 2 instructors that were motorcyclists and truckers by trade were a fantastic combination. Learnt a hell of a lot!

I agree with the Admiral that HGV driving does improve your general techniques and your understanding of other road users. In addition to the Admiral’s comments, what GMG are the idiots who refuse to overtake, who seem to be scared to go in the outside lane. They sit behind something, normally an HGV overtaking something else, doing 60 in the middle lane, you overtake not that much faster, but then they put their foot down when the vehicle they are sat behind pulls in; they end up undertaking you!

Out of interest, does anyone remember the Public Information films they used to have years ago? They were a little cheesy, but they might have influenced behaviour a bit. If I recall, they covered such things as using roundabouts, lane discipline and motorway driving; all the things that the average motorist (in the South East at any rate) seems incapable of doing properly.

GMG at the moment - the media’s definition of weather.

When I was a kid, if I remember rightly, we used to call the periods of warm or even hot weather we (sometimes) got around Jun/Jul/Aug ‘summer’; similarly, the cold periods in Dec/Jan/Feb were ‘winter’. Why do the press (particularly the Mail and Express) insist on calling them ‘mini heatwaves’ and ‘arctic blasts’?

It’s all to sell papers and make people panic, summer and winter are not dramatic enough. But it’s not just the papers it’s every news media and I blame 24 hour rolling news. The weathermen/women on TV don’t help matters.

Lord knows what would happen if we had another summer of '76, the media would implode. I remember on the hills near where I live the tar melted on the roads and formed little rivulets, which stuck to the wheels of your bike and was great if you went across gravel or dirt. You had to queue for the swimming pool. When I’ve been swimming recently the same pool is almost empty, when I was a kid it was standing room only up about the 5ft 6 mark in hot weather.

God, I remember the summer of '76! I was 16 and we went swimming in the river every day. We used to jump off a bridge and swim to the bank, climb out and by the time we’d walked back round to the bridge, our shorts were bone dry!

GMG?! That bloody Army Recruitment advert.

Where someone vaults over cover as an explosion goes off in the background. Its not bloody hollywood. That was incorrect drills by a number of people for a charge that size and it certainly wasnt an Entry charge. Without going too much into it, its bad drills, dangerous and unprofessional and should not be used.
Makes me want to punch through my TV everytime.

ITS NOT HOLLYWOOD FOR GODSAKE!

Looked like Salisbury Plain to me.

Go on. Do it! You tell 'em!

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=19942]Makes me want to punch through my TV everytime. [/quote]NB - do not try that if it’s a CRT screen.

They’ve very, very thick glass…

I’ve just paid £16 for some first aid badges because despite having over 6 months to do so, my Wing haven’t got their act together and got any.

£16???. how many did you buy?

£16???. how many did you buy?[/quote]

1. Ripoff direct was the only site I could find that would sell them and I was sure they were the right sizes and varieties. It was £5 for postage included in that £16…

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=19942]GMG?! That bloody Army Recruitment advert.

Where someone vaults over cover as an explosion goes off in the background. Its not bloody hollywood. That was incorrect drills by a number of people for a charge that size and it certainly wasnt an Entry charge. Without going too much into it, its bad drills, dangerous and unprofessional and should not be used.

ITS NOT HOLLYWOOD FOR GODSAKE![/quote]

People filling out a H&S risk assessment does not encourage newbies to sign up. Excitement, money and women do, but if they put all three in the same advert the ASA would be crawling all over the MoD. At least this way it’s only a little lie.

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=19971][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=19942]GMG?! That bloody Army Recruitment advert.

People filling out a H&S risk assessment does not encourage newbies to sign up. Excitement, money and women do, but if they put all three in the same advert the ASA would be crawling all over the MoD. At least this way it’s only a little lie.[/quote]

You mean like this one?:

Trying to buy shorts that look like shorts and not trousers cut off at the knee, that mostly come with a bloody pocket in about the same position as as on combats. The only thing that seems to come close are swimming shorts, but they don’t have a fly.

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=19971][quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=19942]GMG?! That bloody Army Recruitment advert.

People filling out a H&S risk assessment does not encourage newbies to sign up. Excitement, money and women do, but if they put all three in the same advert the ASA would be crawling all over the MoD. At least this way it’s only a little lie.[/quote]

Once again…missing the point.

If your going to do something, do it properly. Its professionalism. Especially with that kit. I dont care what chavvy little sod sees it and thinks its awesome. Its bloody wrong.

Its not Hollywood. These things have a time and place. Correct drills and skills are a definate, especially when working in that environment and with that kit. We are not GI Joe. We are professionals that are damn good at our job.

There was a Royal Marine on Top Gear in a ford, for the beach assault cocked his weapon and didnt forward assist he got called “Forward Assist” for the rest of his days. Its not hard to carry out the correct drills with any weapon system and that kit especially.

GMG: People making up their own rules on the fly and then throwing out ACP numbers like Arnold Rimmer quoting Starfleet Regulations.

Add to that staff misquoting ACPs as if they don’t expect you to have ever read them and using the misquoted version as gospel.

Recent example, presentation evening at HQ, (Very much a social occasion for cadets and staff and a few parents.) One staff member bought an adult cadet a pint at the bar. He then walks into the next room and is rinsed by two other staff members for drinking alcohol. He points out that he was bought it by a member of staff, but that didn’t dissuade them one bit. It was the cadet’s fault. They said to him “Cadets don’t drink alcohol in uniform. It’s the most black and white rule in the book.”

Well, except that it isn’t:

[quote="ACP20 PI No,114] POLICY FOR CADETS
4. Regardless of age, and position, no cadet member of the ACO is to consume alcohol whilst on duty. Cadets who are over 18 may seek permission to consume alcohol at formally authorised social functions eg. Sqn dinner nights.[/quote]

Personally, if I had been told by a cadet he had been bought it by another member of staff, I would have checked out the story, then had words with the member of staff, (if I cared) not embarass the cadet in front of a room of his friends. (Who all sided with him obviously and lost what respect they may have had for the two members of staff.)

Grrrrr

I have decided that I think it would be more use if, when we pay peanuts, we actually get monkeys instead of some of the civil servants we have.

That’s un-necessary and frankly it’s also offensive; totally unacceptable in the modern workplace so why should it be accepted here. Don’t abuse people please and certainly not those you neither know nor understand. If you have a complaint then by all means voice it but name calling is school yard stuff and I would like to think we are above that?