Webbing: Ammunition pouches on the right hand side

I’m putting together some MTP webbing, I’ve got two ammunition pouches on the left side. Do I need another two on the right hand side because I want to get a commanders pouch on that side?

Assuming the left two hold two magazines each, are you likely to get more than 4 magazines? My webbing has three pouches on the left and one half way round on the right, but the right hand one is for my flask :smiley:

taking PLCE webbing - that being personal load carrying equipment could be argued to be personal to your own needs

my personal webbing would be a belt with 1 x ammo pouch for my use as a SAAI but we’ve been told that is not sufficient!

Anyway ammo pouches on the right aren’t a lot of use when the left hand has to get the mag out.

I can’t believe you’ll get more than 4 mags ever on cadet activities…

I know a cadet who got through 8 in one attack once, but she didn’t have to carry them all - people just threw them at her.

Agreed with the above - put a utility pouch on the right. If you somehow get more than 4 mags, just empty the utility pouch and put them in there.

Or, as the chap wants a Commander’s Pouch, empty that. The Dragon Supplies ones are designed to multi-role between commanders pouch and LMG ammo (good luck getting that! :mrgreen:)

Agree with all the other posts - the webbing is your own personal preference. As long as you have some dedicated ammo pouches, it matters not.

1 Like

By 2, I take it you mean the 2 Mag pouches that are joined together as 1 unit?
Because 4 Mag pouches on one side is pretty pointless, especially for a Cadet Activity.

Mag pouches on the right hand side are pointless, your not going to be using that side for changing mags, Grenades on that side might be practical, but redundant for Cadets. Mag pouches are excellent for holding those small Thermos Flasks, or Smoke.

You don’t need to buy anything special or any gucci “Commanders Pouch”, just use a Utility/WaterBottle Pouch. Comes in handy when you get the Gun or Minimi for link, as the Mag pouches only hold about 50round 7.62 belts/100round pouch 5.56.

My webbing set up, which I might get pics for and start a thread.

-Double Mag-SmokeGren-Bayonet Frog-Waterbottle-Utility-Utility-Waterbottle-Utility-SmokeGren-

As Talon says if your in a contact, and your running low on Ammunition thats when you drop X Number of guys back to charge the mags up, with bandoliers whilst the others get a rate of fire down, with Mags getting thrown left right and chelsea. I used to carry extra mags in my daysack if needed, same with Link.

And talking of magazines, it really grips my poo when people shout “Magazine” for a stoppage. If you require a Magazine because you have none left, shout “Magazine”, if you are changing an empty Magazine, its a stoppage drill, shout “Stoppage”.

I have to say that I do prefer a “commander’s” pouch on the front to a utility pouch, I find it fits a lot better. I’m not entirely sure that it would normally justify the extra expense, but if you’re buying MTP webbing then it’s probably not much of a difference in price.

(but I would say buy some second-hand DPM webbing for about £30 and save the difference as beer tokens (lemonade tokens are also available for those under 18).

Commanders pouch is just a utility pouch but with a huge mark up on. Its just a big pouch you put stuff in. Thats all. Stick PAMs in it, stick Comms Cards in it, stick grenades in it, stick a packed lunch in it, stuff 6 bags of haribo in it.

Your just paying extra for “looking Ally”. Pointless.

1 Like

It’s not about looking ally, it’s the fact that it’s a different shape - shallower and shorter so that it doesn’t dig in when you’re prone, but wider so that it doesn’t lose too much volume. They’re roughly the same profile as a double ammo pouch.

As in my post above I’m not sure that they’re worth paying more for, but I’d guess that in MTP you’d be looking at around the same price for a commanders pouch as you would for a utility.

Not sure that’s true. What if your primary use for your webbing is as an ECO, where you are constantly referring to your TAMs/Nirex for safety briefs but need to quickly go hands-free for the conduct of the exercise, without taking a daysac off to stuff it in. It’s totally appropriate for people undertaking ‘commander’ type roles in the cadet forces.

Yea… so use a Utility or water bottle pouch, or shell out the money and buy what is effectively a utility pouch with a gucci name…

And I dunno about you, but I can’t fit my A4 Pyrex folders in any of my webbing pouches?

Or just stuff it in the good old Breacon Pouch.

Neither can I, but my A5 ones fit perfectly!

1 Like

They not fit in your Smock pockets like?

:wink:

Not when the pockets are covered by the webbing! :smirk:

Alright dits, I don’t want your life story.

:wink:

1 Like

I always found that Pyrex folders were a bit fragile :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll get my coat.

2 Likes

Isn’t Pyrex the star sign for a test-tube baby?..

4 Likes

Haha typo! Bloody auto correct!