VR(T) Commission Change

See bold, given the delay was due to something like that. BUT not telling us exactly what the problem is and the magnitude of it, is wrong. As all the delay seemed to suggest was, we’ve been doing this for several years and it’s only now we found we can’t actually fudge something we found and we don’t really know how to resolve it, without really irritating people.

1 Like

There’s an update on Sharepoint.

Do you mean the 16 Sep one we spoke about above?

Looks like it was option 2 then.

According to the wording of the briefing document and the inference that certain people in the gliding world will need a military commission. The CFC will not be a military commission as what many of on high have stated.

Which makes me think that no one truly knows what the duck is happening. #DisorganisedChaos

I didn’t think they wanted a military commission as that is was has created the problems in recent years. What tangible benefits does having a ‘military commission’ in a youth organisation really bring to those holding it?

Reading an interview with Lord Richards (former CDS) in the ST yesterday, I would say the MoD have got more problems than enough to deal with and this doesn’t even register on the importance scale.

Flying aside…
If it’s not a “military” commission, where do we actually stand with Shooting - arms/ammunition from service armouries - including the transportation.

I hope you’re not suggesting that HQAC had no idea of how many things in the ACO toolbox would be effected by this mess before other people pointed them out to our august leaders are you?

That would indicate that HQAC has no real understanding of the day-to-day activities of the ACO and lives in a bubble of paper and Twitter postings - and we all know that’s not true…

2 Likes

I would suggest that the lack of understanding goes far beyond HQAC into 22Grp, Air Command and RF&C

Change the rules, they do this all the time to suit their purpose, so do it to make it possible for cadet forces to do what they need to.

Also there are quite vibrant ‘civilian’ clubs around. Being hog tied to the military is seemingly more for a dwindling military’s benefit than ours; job creation (FTRS roles), maintaining jobs, pension protection etc. Yet when it comes to supporting us the cuts and so on are used as a reason for the reduction in support.

Having read the interview yesterday it did seem that defence cuts will continue and the Armed Forces are struggling to do what they have to as they get stretched more and more. All of the ‘visions’ are for further into the future and people lose sight of what they should be doing currently and deadlines get pushed further and further back.

Shooting has become a niche activity due to over regulation and application of rules that should never affect us, and as for flying, I’m under 5 AEF so haven’t seen regular flying for over 3 years, so don’t really recognise flying as a proper activity anymore. Gliding seems to be off the menu for longer and longer.

It’s ok. 6 AEF have decided they’re not going to fly on Sundays anymore so most of the South East won’t be flying much anymore either.

2 Likes

But don’t worry. We can use civilian gliding clubs to pick up the slack. Oh wait.

4 Likes

oh i assumed that it would - but for those institutions the cadet forces are only a part of their remit, and by far the least important part of the day job, so they can be excused some ignorance.

for HQAC however its the be-all and end-all, its what they do day-in-and-day-out, it would have been nice if HQAC had had sufficient grasp of the ACO on a day-to-day level that when they sat in on the powerpoint presentation of this Grand Scheme, they could have said ‘these are lovely pictures, but you do understand that flying aircraft on the military register requires the VGS to have VR(T) commissioned officers, and that picking up arms and ammunition from the armoury at RAF Wherever on a sunday morning requires an VR(T) commission - don’t you?’

i’m afraid i rather get the impression that all these minor details that govern the lives of the lesser orders who actually provide the cadet experience came as something of unwelcome and unguessed news to The Great Ones as the fiddled the flying stats in their mighty citadel…

This isn’t the case - I do this as a CI - just need SC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Though SCAF have been known to flap about inventories needing to be held by RAF personnel.
That should be an easy fix: “dear SCAF, no they don’t!”

To fly military registered aircraft need to come under QRs even though the Tutors have civil registrations, they come under military regs for other things.

I believe the CFC was implemented so that it removed current VRT officers from QRs for numerous reasons.

This reasons being, “when it suits the ivory tower brigade”?

2 Likes

Because some of the senior leadership in this organisation are awful at dealing with complaints and discipline leading to people appealing their decisions outside the organisation. So instead of dealing with the issue they are just stopping people from being able to appeal?

1 Like

Well, won’t the new last court of appeal be the Employment Tribunal? That’s a case I’d love to see.