VR(T) Commission Change

Perish the thought! I decided something like a decade ago to restrict the ammount of leave that I ‘spent’ on cadet activities each year to 1 week annual leave plus the 1 week ‘cadet forces’ special paid leave. Above that I don’t do it plus I keep it down to 1 weekend per month and I feel much better for it.

LOL.
I told them the truth, ie that I am a member of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves. That was one of the few available options to select. One day I might also tell them about the time I spend on the 'phone to Wing etc, the printing I do and so on lol.

4 Likes

Don’t tell them, they might twig why paper consumption is twice what they thought it should be! lol

5 Likes

My employer has blocked Bader :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

A previous employer wouldn’t listen to me properly and every time I did cadet activities he authorised full pay including weekends, as he didn’t want me to get a deployment as he said “I need you here not topping up a tan”… Happy days…LOL

1 Like

Do you think we could do that at our squadrons???

6 Likes

No point, can’t get on some parade nights anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

The majority of employers don’t seem to like Bader being accessed :thumbsup:

I could access it and then they changed something to do with the IT setup and now I can’t which is a real shame. Luvvly jubbly.

The majority? Done a survey of staff have you? My employer has no restrictions on their IT nor do my nearest sqns staff employers. That’s one council, one civil servant, two sales based roles and an researcher. One other has mail blocked but not the other systems (but all web mail is bloked fo security)

Same on DII

interesting talk with the local sea cadet officer tonight,
They got it through their chain of command that they are now getting a queens commission,
however their senior staff put it to them that;
“The Army Cadet and Sea Cadet officers were finally being given a Queen’s commission albeit a cadet forces one not one with their parent service and the ATC officers were being BUSTED out of the RAF down to the same level as us”

He was asking how we felt being kicked out of the RAF after all these years… well what can you say?? so I pointed him to this thread and let him work out how everyone feels!

None of the staff at the sqn can access it and speaking to a number of people around the Wing they can’t either. One WSO said he could then his company rolled out some new security software and he couldn’t.

One of my mates said it mentioned something needed to be activated and when he asked his IT people they asked why he needed it and was told it wasn’t a business use so no. He said that social media is blocked and people have been given warning about excessive mobile phone use, except at breaks. One girl was always on her phone at her desk and got a proper rocket as he put it.

Most I know access it via phones but that’s a step too far for me.

I’m not sure about all the levels of commissions and so on.
What I do know the local ACF battalion officers have lord lieutenant commissions and have said they were not the same level as mine.

You got commissioned in 1973 (you old :joy::joy:) do you think after that it could of been downgraded from a queens commission to lord lieutenant level???
As I see in the information you posted they talk about going for lord lieutenant up to Queens…

Our local ACF talking rubbish… surly not lol

Thanks for clarifying

We’ve had one all along, but I’m not surprised that the sea cadets don’t know what is going on around them. In reality, they have been the only ones without proper commissions for some time.

Honorary Colonels can be granted a Lord Lieutenant’s commission on appointment if they do not already have some form of commission. This might be a source for the confusion?

:joy: :joy: eh…Nice pair of legs or is it the other picture :wink: :joy:

Sorry my friend, needed to put some sort of humour into this thread somehow even a bad joke was better than no joke :smile:

But it is good to get input from the other forces and dispel myths, legends etc and get the facts known

Flippin’ 'eck Tucker.

What was the split and how did this affect the actual running of things? What was situation for SNCOs as I tend only see SNCOs locally.

On our Wing we’re about 20 officers under establishment, about a dozen SNCOs under and well over on CIs.

Was there pressure put onto SNCOs tasked in that way to take commissions?

The ATC seems to regard SNCOs as being little more than shouty types and disregards their ability to do other things, unless they take a commission.

The thing is, they believe that going for a commission means they will suddenly stop doing these things - it isn’t true. I am always teaching skill at arms and am one of the few that knows banner drill so teach that. I could teach any drill I want, but I need to give my cadet NCOs the opportunity to improve their teaching so they usually end up doing the basic and 1 star drill. I do find it funny when people ask for someone to come and help teach drill, see an officer volunteer and they respond with “officers don’t teach drill”. There is no official direct commissioning route in the ACF so all officers started as NCOs (barring the few who transferred their commission from regular/reserve service, but they are usually the higher ranks who do less training). To say an officer can no longer teach something because they are an officer is ludicrous.