VR(T) Commission Change

Now on Bader: https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/ACO%20Document%20Library/Announcements/ACO%20Cadet%20Forces%20Commission%20Brief%201.docx

What confuses me is this statement:

Officers, Warrant Officers and SNCO will continue to be appointed into the Air Training Corps or Combined Cadet Force (RAF).

My understanding is that SNCO (ATC) will be appointed into the new construct and wear the new insignia but this implies the opposite.

I think you have misunderstood what the new construct is:

My reading is that the construct is the overarching Cadet Forces apparatus which awards the CF Commission in place of the current single-service commission awarded by the parent service.
Beneath that umbrella sits the current, separate cadet force organisations as they are at the moment.

1 Like

Early doors yet, and some finer detail requiring work, but at least something in the way of a holding statement.

Are you VRT and you donā€™t have access to SharePoint?

1 Like

As soon as someone issues a public version iā€™ll copy it across. It wasnā€™t marked up, but given that anything off the system is classes as OFFICIAL or something, i donā€™t want to be the one breaching security. Now Trump is in charge, SIB may get him to track me down.

CADET FORCES COMMISSION ā€“ HOW WILL IT AFFECT ME?

What affect will the new Cadet Forces Commission have on me?

The new Cadet Forces Commission - as approved and appointed by the Sovereign ā€“ is an appointment within a generic construct of the Cadet Forces which will embrace all current constituent forces whilst retaining their identities and titles.

• The Air Training Corps will retain its strong links to the parent Service and will remain a key part of the RAF Family, comprising Regulars, Reserves and Cadet Forces.

• Officers, Warrant Officers and SNCO will continue to be appointed into the Air Training Corps or Combined Cadet Force (RAF).

• On appointment, all Officers will receive a new Commissioning Scroll and will continue to be gazetted. Further work relating to recognition of non-Commissioned Cadet Force Adult Volunteers will be undertaken as part of CF2020.

• Cadet Force Commissioned Officers will be entitled to wear military uniform and rank appropriate to their single Service, and to be accorded by members of the Armed Forces and others the appropriate respect and privileges appertaining to that rank when undertaking training and volunteer related activities in uniform.

• The precedence of Cadet Force Officers for the purposes of military ceremonial will be junior in rank to all Regular and Reserve Officers of the same rank, and senior to all officers of lower rank in the Regular and Reserve Forces.

• Officers will no longer be subject to the Armed Forces Act. A simplified, swifter complaints procedure will be introduced to replace the current overly complex Service Complaints system.

• Uniformed personnel will retain their CFAV MoD 90. Appointed Civilian Personnel (Civilian Instructors and Chaplains) will receive a new membership card which will be used to validate their identity and role as members of the Air Training Corp or Combined Cadet Force (RAF).

• Membership of the Messes, including entitled rates (when on duty) will remain.

• Uniform entitlements will remain unchanged.

• Consultation is currently underway regarding what insignia members of the Air Training Corps / Combined Cadet Force (RAF) will wear. Ranks and titles will continue to reflect those of the parent service.

• Volunteer Allowance and other allowances will remain unchanged as a result of the introduction of the new commission, although a review of volunteer allowances is scheduled as part of the 2025 strategy.

The Air Cadet Organisation lead for the introduction of the new Cadet Forces Commission is:
Gp Capt Mark Leeming ā€“ Regional Commandant North - cadetforcescommission@aircadets.org

Further details will be published as and when they are available.

1 Like

Yeah, ā€œas ifā€. Perhaps he has his own accountā€¦

The last RC(W&W) was here for a whileā€¦

Itā€™s not like a previous RC had someone thrown out of the organisation for a post on hereā€¦

2 Likes

FWIW Iā€™ve suggested the insignia should be ATC or CCF. Yes, I know we are all one big fluffy ACO, but actually that reality is disappearing somewhat with the Army takeover (sorry, ā€˜assuming controlā€™) of the CCF; and it would align ACO officers with, on the one hand, the ATC SNCO cadre; and on the other, CCF Army personnel.

There is a case to be made though for retaining an RAFVR link; as stated above, the RNR(CCF) and RNR(SCC) wear the old RNVR ā€˜wavy navyā€™ rank purely to save it from oblivion. The RAFVR were a huge part of the RAF (just look at a typical school war memorial, for example) and donā€™t deserve to be forgotten.

1 Like

Surely UAS OCdts are RAFVR? At least according to their rank slides they are.

Fair point, actually (does RAFVR(DTUS) still exist?)

daws1159 is that RC now in charge of a (not very much) flying unit?

You might very well think that but I couldnā€™t possibly comment.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t actually say anything useful though, like what the new process will look like and what the actual status will be now weā€™re not under the AA Act etc.

If we are to become like all other staff how will that look and will they put caveats on officers that donā€™t exist for CIs and SNCOs. I canā€™t see them not wanting to put more ā€˜controlsā€™ onto officers. Last year I had to take over the inventory as apparently for all the years of SNCOs being inventory holders someone in Air Command decided that as they couldnā€™t be held to account for losses and as Officers held an RAF commission they could, which was better for the RAF to pin things on people. But now if we all have the same status can I hand the inventory back to an SNCO as itā€™s just another thing for me to have to do, that I could well do without.

Chatting to an old mate from the ACF about a month ago she said that apparently their are no ACF commissioning courses at Westbury until March next year. If this is correct, read into that what you like with reference to the new commission.

I hope notā€¦ Iā€™m on the November one.

Not looking good for you! Are you sure youā€™re on the Nov board?

Pretty sure that @Jacques is waiting for either a wing board or OASC

Yes, waiting for OASC. Thought this was an Air Cadet forum!

1 Like