Top 5 L98 Fads

L86?
Reference my last;
To my understanding you are to watch and listen for the fall of the hammer during the function test after Repitition, when testing the automatic function by manually moving the cocking handle, I am not clued up on ATC weapons handling but could that be the reason it’s omitted from the ATC WHT? A bad habit/crossover?

When your firing off the action, you should always use an aimed shot. Not just wave it about in a general safe direction.
Having seen other lads ND on the range, on exercises and on ops, it’s damn good practise, and potentially saved lives, I always had it drilled into me that it was an aimed shot.
You don’t want to be waving a GPMG in a “safe direction” during NSPs, it’s always an aimed shot.

And not being a super awesome ATC Guru, can someone explain to me why a 7 point check is incorrect drill during NSPs? How on earth are you looking in the chamber then?
A wee glance? Just wing it? Just hope there’s not a round in it?

Complacency gets people killed. Just take a look at the news and see the lad killed on otterburn, not saying it was complacency, or putting blame on anyone. But if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. And when it goes wrong with firearms, you go dead.

There’s a difference between the NSPs and the Unload. For the NSPs, the check is chamber, body, face of bolt. For the Unload, it’s C, B, FoB, magazine housing, and a repeat of C, B, FoB.

Not wanting to label them as such, but the NSP is, in effect, a 3-point check and the unload is the 7.

1 Like

Well slap my thigh, dress me up in a frock and call me Sandra.

Fairy nuff. Seems a bit naff to me. I was always taught 7 point check, but then I am not a super awesome ATC marksmen.

Speaking of fads, anyone crack 3 cocks/multiple
Cocks on NSPs/unloads thinking they are Gucci operators clearing a double feed?

Marksman? I couldn’t hit a barn door but I could spout reams off of a Pam…and that’s all that matters, right? :wink:

I’ve only seen JL cadets do multiple cocks to ‘work the oil around the weapon’… :ohmygod:

1 Like

I am sure there’s an innuendo there about JLs and lubricant.

2 Likes

Correct, although to be pedantic the NSP for a loaded weapon IS the unload - so it’s the difference between the NSP on a weapon with no magazine fitted, and the Unload/NSP on a weapon with a magazine fitted.[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson, post:24, topic:2545”]
Fairy nuff. Seems a bit naff to me. I was always taught 7 point check, but then I am not a super awesome ATC marksmen.
[/quote]And I was taught the correct drill in the RAF…

Haha, the RAF. Good one!

:wink:

Be as rude as you like about the Regiment, but at least they know the correct weapon handling drills!

1 Like

There’s definately an innuendo in there…

Nope - You listen for a click when releasing the trigger. You do not watch the hammer - this is so for the L98, L85 and L86 for repetition. You only check the position of the hammer when checking automatic function on the L85 or L86.

Depending on when you were taught, you were probably taught wrong - the correct drill is 3 point check for NSPs.

1 Like

Yea. That’s what I was getting at… After you function test single shot, you test automatic, that’s when you look for the fall of the hammer.

And yes, it would appear so. However, having seen lads ND on ranges, exercises and ops. I will continue to do so.

Just not on the L98A2 for obvious reasons! :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe, but of all the parts on the rifle, the ones which fail fastest, just by being used correctly, are the locking pins. You don’t need to put them back in, so it should be avoided. it’s not good practice. Good practice would avoiding them being stood on or dropped.

It’s a fad, which is what this thread is aiming to get rid of.

1 Like

I am both an RCO and SAAI. The problem on the range is inconsistent weapon handling drill taught to cadets by weapon instructors who have not kept up with latest publication 71807-C Cadet Training Skill at Arms. The fads I hear are all mentioned in previous posts and are usually explained as ’best practice’ with no relevance or reference to current publications.

1 Like

I heard the best practise for a stoppage drill is to lay the weapon down. stand up, spin round 3 times, click your heels together and say “I am ally” 3 times.

1 Like

I teach that. Mainly, because of deeply ingrained distrust of whoever else trained the cadets…

While they’re standing up doing their ‘fairy dance’, it gives me time to safely clear the weapon…

3 Likes

Really? I’d think that the number of things taught that have never been correct far outweighs any things that were once correct, and have now changed.

1 Like

seconded

more characters for post submission

In fact, I appreciate that the lessons have changed but has any drill actually changed since the A2 was introduced?

Yes with the L98A2 The immediate action drill changed. Then immediately changed back following uproar!