Honours List

Sad fact: people don’t nominate their peers.

Also, that colour of green doesn’t suit you.

Problem is that lots of people a) don’t know how b) don’t have the experience to write it up properly c) are ignored by a CoC who don’t care about those below.

Some Wings on the other hand are very good at getting people nominated which I commend, there just isn’t any consistency.

The proper awards never seem to go to people at Squadron Level, surely we have plenty of committee members out there who would be good candidates for a BEM or and MBE? (I’m sure those above who get them are very deserving, just would like to see others recognised too).

I would almost like to see a quota system introduced for recommendations, all OC’s expected to make 1 recommendation to Wing, Wings expected to put at least 3 forward to Region, 1 of which must have come from an OC and so on, build a session on how to do it into the Squadron Commanders course at ATF.

Surely that would then mean OCs are pressured to nominate somebody even if they genuinely don’t think there is anyone deserving of it?

The Achilles heel is our nominations go to the military panel which has a very high bar.

There must be someone you can nominate for something! Even if it’s a colleague rather than one of your own staff/committee?

Agree sending things through the military route doesn’t help, seems much easier to get them through the Civil route. (Although speaking to a friend who did a BEM nomination last year it’s still hard work to get them through).

Surely HQAC could drive nominations for national multiple Lees winners etc. ? You are right that the honours are skewed towards certain wings. A lot of volunteers don’t have the skill set to draft recommendations.

There was a young CO of a top SCC Unit who got an MBE a few years back. What a great way to encourage other volunteers rather than the top slicing that is endemic in the system.

You don’t nominate someone for a particular honour, you submit a summary of their achievements for consideration and the panel decide what honour (if any) is appropriate.

MB

Have you checked ACP3?

That’s happening just now…

The honours list is a lot of rubbish anyway. It’s not about being jealous. It’s literally pretentious doorknobs massaging the egos of over pretentious doorknobs.
With an occasional award given out to cover up a massive screw up. Usually to officers and/or when people get killed.

And if they don’t like you, or you don’t have the right background, your acheivments end up in file 13.

That’s the document I was looking for, cheers.

You’re still coming across as bitter, passed over and jealous.

1 Like

I assume if nominated you would hand it back then? :wink:

hahahahah! Nah mate. Not even in the slightest. I couldn’t care less about letters after your name or how much scrambled egg you have on your Shoulders. What I care about is someone’s ability to do their job. Not bureaucracy and their mismanagement.

Those honours get dished out for to distract from screw ups. Fact.

I wouldn’t get nominated in the first place. I am not a yes man, I don’t have the right background and When it comes to job politics, I am like a brick through a plate glass window.

But yea, if by some miracle I got nominated. I wouldn’t accept it. Morals not for medals.

Fact? Hardly. There’s lots of community based volunteers, public service and military personnel who received awards. Sometimes after their demise. None of them cock up.

You are dishonering their contribution IMHO.

PoP, whilst I agree there are a lot of deserving volunteers out there from all walks of life, I also agree with RAS that there are many more who are given state honours who have done nothing other than contributed immensely to monumental cock-up’s.

Certainly in my previous life I can recall at least two senior RAF officers who couldn’t do their job properly if their lives depended on it but who were subsequently awarded the OBE and MBE respectively.

It happens.

3 Likes

We should just accept that in the military division (and civil service in general) the vast majority of these are dished to senior officers (or civil servants) on a time served basis for just doing a job and it doesn’t matter how well or badly they do it. I won’t mention young celebs, sportsmen/women etc etc who are just out of school getting these things.

This is no different. A member of the organisation I cannot think of anything worthy or of note that warrants this within the ATC. If anything it is a sleight to all the volunteers. What next OC 2FTS a knighthood?

2 Likes

He suggested all honours were issued following screw ups - I disagreed. I do agree some are and some are questionable at the least.