Shooting - Air Rifle RCO Course

Hello - we are hoping to purchase some Scorpion Rifles for the Sqn and setup and indoor range.

Norfolk & Suffolk Wing do not have any AR RCO Courses until the new year (April next year) and it has has been suggested to see if any other wings are running the course sooner. Seeing as it is a 1 day course we are keen to get a couple of staff members qualified, as indoor shooting would be a good activity anytime, but especially the colder/darker months. We have someone (qualified) to help train & deliver the WHT - but internal staff to run the AR range would be very useful.

I’ve had a quick look on BADER but it seems each wing promotes their courses differently and it seems it would be quicker to wait until next year than search through it all…

If anyone knows any AR RCO courses that are happening between now and the end of the year I would be grateful if you could let me know. Many thanks.

Here ya go:

RMQ SA(AR)12 cse, St Mawgan Aug 2016, cse no 318/16, SWSATT.

Otherwise it is the 2 weekend SR RCO cse if available.

Make sure that you get the Scorpions with the safety catch on the LEFT side; I know that it should be common sense, but ours turned up with them on the right & I have just recently found out that another local sqn had the same issue.

With the current ACO staffing & ongoing range surveyor trg in progress, I suggest you look at the initial paperwork to get a range approved sooner rather than later.

Any questions, please feel free to ask, we set up our air rifle range about 3 yrs ago,

1 Like

Thanks Mike - I will certainly look into your points and start the paperwork. Hopefully I can find a course a little closer, but if not then I’ll have to come down to your lovely part of the country and have a pint of the adult apple juice!!

Not that far away from you. :wink:

Although some of the links may need to be checked & perhaps the prices have changed slightly, this had slightly more information about what needs to be done.

ON Sharepoint (ACO Key Documents > ACO Shooting Documents ), there is a list of the prices under “Air Cadet Force BSA Price Matrix.” However, that shows multi-cam stock + magazine; things may have moved on - ours are green stock + single shot.

EDIT - contact details for the pellet catchers - if you have to buy independently, I suggest you buy the required number of complete catchers, one complete spare, then at least 1-2 sets of backplates/springs per catcher; only one delivery charge then. POC was Lines & Jones Ltd, Emma Morris, Office Manager, 01524 841260.

1 Like

North SATT are apparently running a course in May this year - check out there BADER SharePoint site. Other than that, the only AR course being run is the one mentioned above by SWSATT.

1 Like

That’s great, many thanks!

I’ve just bumped the topic of lack of Air Rifle “only” RCO Cses to our Wg Shooting Officer & OC SATT.

Many CFAVs interested in shooting cannot guarantee attendance at a 2 x weekend “full” RCO SR cse (or a 4 day SAAI cse, etc), & we are missing out on starting them off on the RCO ladder. Equally, it means that sqns are missing out on local air rifle range use due to a lack of RCOs.

Air rifle ranges are relatively easy to install, the equipment costs are within realistic boundaries, & they are an excellent vehicle to promote shooting activities. Furthermore, there are no logistical nightmares for transport of wpns or ammunition. We should be concentrating on enhancing such facilities, especially in light of the unknown timescale for the introduction of the L144.

Perhaps other sqn shooting officers can also nudge their respective WSOs & OC SATTs…

1 Like

Quick reply. :wink:

In short, SA(AR)12 course was not on the list of SASC supported courses for 17/19 T/Y.

The lack of the course being on the SASC list was raised at the last OC SATT’s meeting, and is being investigated at HQAC level. There is awareness of the need for a AR RCO qualification, and a suitable SAAI type qualification to match.

I’m currently on the SA (SR) 07 course right now and it covers the RCO for air rifle ranges. However the other important point is that the RCO needs to have completed a WHT on the weapon you want to use. I’d start with finding out which weapon your wing shooting officers are qualified to do wHT for and then try to get an RCO qualified on that weapon.

Yes, that’s a known deal. However, to help expand sqn shooting options, a weekend only cse (rather than the 2 weekends for the SA (SR) 07 cse) may be of greater benefit. Our air rifle range has been exceptionally well used, & having just “lost” an RCO (moved jobs), we need another one! :wink: