Question about having a cast

So i recently broke my wrist and I have a few questions. Am Iallowed to be in uniform with a cast? Can I do shooting or flying?

Yes you can be in uniform (providing it fits over it obviously!)

It depends what you’ve broken for shooting. Flying is probably a no as it might impair your ability to escape the aircraft.

Speak to your CO and see what they say.

I don’t mind cadets attending out of uniform if they have a cast, but they don’t do anything other than classroom activities. What they get up to at school or elsewhere isn’t on my watch if anything happens.

Shooting would be a no no as you probably can’t operate or control the weapon effectively and flying would be a no go as you would be a liability and again as said if you couldn’t open a chute if you had to bail more questions for all involved.

I would say as long as it isn’t upper body based shooting would be fine. Clearly you can’t control a rifle one handed but if it’s your foot or ankle and providing you can go prone it shouldn’t effect you.

1 Like

Flying is definitely out - it’s on the medical form.

I’d say that shooting would be up to the RCO - if you can prove that you can hold the rifle correctly and stably, then I don’t think that there would be a problem.

Flying - as stated, no.

Shooting - could you hold a rifle, & shoot it safely, to the same level of mobility if the cast was not there? Could you carry out all the required NSPs? It might be wpn dependent, in that you could do all of this for an air rifle, but not the L98.

However, medically, I would suggest that even with a cast, you should be “resting” your wrist, rather than place extra strain on it.