ACO Convention

The ACO convention starts today. If you were a delegate what question would you ask the management team of the ACO.

On a side issue it is good to see that the great and the good of the ACO (paid Managers) make the volunteers take time off work in mid week to attend. By all accounts it was a 3 line whip for attendance.

I would ask of the great and the good:

"Is it just me, or does everything you touch turn RUBBISH

5 Likes

Do you really understand how what you do affects the morale of the volunteer staff?

Who’s doing your kitchen, RFCA? Is that why it’s taking so long?

2 Likes

What has been the legal issue with the VRT change and why hasn’t it been shared with staff. Poor communication reigns just like the beginning of this process.

4 Likes

Disgraceful. But then would you expect anything different?

We can’t have a weekend of the high and mighty sodded up by an Air Cadet activity can we, unless it’s them getting in the way.

1 Like

How much of what we do are you actually in charge of and or have direct influence over? All admin processes aside.

Why have people with no experience been placed as regional advisors in child protection roles? What can they bring to an organisation which has thousands of better qualified/experienced people. What do you think it will look like when we are reviewed following a serious incident/investigation?

1 Like

Amateurish?

I take it these are FTRS roles?

Why are they so bad at communications!!!

What qualifies you to run this organisation? Given that you do not have extensive experience of the organisation at grassroots level.

Did I miss the calling notice for this? Or was there selected individuals from the ACO chosen?

OC Wings, WAdOs and select key personnel.
It will filter down at regional and wing conferences, or TG will publish direct to Facebook.

Traditionally the WO cadre are leaky about this kind of activity. Mainly to bolster their importance factor I think. Must be an age thing.

A few questions…

1. Do you know the motto of the ATC and with the policies being brought in do you believe you are working with this motto?

2. Last year was the 75th anniversary of the ATC do you honestly believe that this organisation showed itself on display waving the flag for the future of the ATC, as where many volunteers and senior cadets stand it should the future is more in keeping with
    Singing, marching and sports and little else regarding aviation

3. whilst Facebook is a great tool to attract and publicise the ACO do you not think that staff at the point of delivery should be told and briefed prior to HQAC, RHQs etc making big announcements especially when your last sentence is nearly always “for more information go and see your squadron staff”

1 Like

[quote=“incubus, post:13, topic:2892, full:true”]OC Wings, WAdOs and select key personnel.
It will filter down at regional and wing conferences, or TG will publish direct to Facebook.[/quote]
In all my years as staff I’ve only ever had the Wg Cdr brief on this twice.

I asked why we don’t get a briefing document and essentially it wouldn’t amount to much as it sounds like adults talking in a Peanuts cartoon and it’s being told what is going to happen. I was told that the RCs doing projects seem to do their updates when the Cmdt isn’t there. One year in 2 hours they were treated to a lot of nothing much and many were left wondering what exactly do they do all day. Also if anyone dares to criticise or question something they are talked down to and it generally feels like a party meeting in 1930s Germany or Soviet Russia.

All of the Wg Cdrs seem to treat this as a chance to network.

An ex wg cdr of my wing went to one of these conferences and they were briefing on the reduction wings per region. With regions going from 6 wing to five. So he asked the question, with the reduction in wings, will there be a corresponding reduction in regions going from 6 to 5? The atmosphere became very frosty at that point and he didn’t ask any more questions that day.

What he said about the whole conference I will not put here and leave it at that.

3 Likes

so the day after the conference…any rumours spinning around yet?

Only rumour I heard was that sticking the most ineffective 1% of ACO staff in a room in Grantham for two days meant the rest of the organisation ran swimmingly for 48 hours :smirk:

7 Likes

The TG Update PowerPoint has been added to the Training Officers Document Libary

Its of about the same standard as the Ultilearn presentations, but introduces a new concept of a ‘Directory of Training’

1 Like