Progressive Training Syllabus

I wouldn’t worry, Teflon seems to revel in belittling any idea that is new or isn’t his.

2 Likes

Not really. The new DofE badge was introduced as the cadets starting in Yr8 couldn’t probably start DofE for say 18 months. But now the age has been reduced by DofE to Yr 9 it seems to have lost its relevance. We can start cadets on the DofE proper, at around the time they’d start looking at doing the badge. The cadets we had start 2 weeks ago will all be of age in September and just finished their Basic cadet training.

If people still want to do the badge, that’s up to them.

The badge could be done and dusted in the first 6 months of their training - before they even finish first class. I get that some cadets will start a little older, but it will still take them at least 6 months to complete the Bronze award.

Just because they are enrolled in the D of E, doesn’t meant they’re not eligible for the Blue Badge. Realistically, unless they are enrolled through school, it it is unlikely that new recruits will finish their bronze award before their first class anyway.

DofE is open to all and it’s not for the Squadron to decide who they will and won’t offer it to. If the cadets are in year 9 they should be offered the opportunity to take part.

We have a cadet who has physical special needs, due to complex needs he is unable to walk and find other people to walk the length of time on a Bronze D of E. He is very grateful for getting his blue badge.

Calypso,
would strongly discuss this with your wing DofE officer.
there is allowances for people with special requirements you listed and they then
may find an alternative way to complete their DofE.

2 Likes

You might find this link useful:

Speak to your Wing DofE Officer, disability is no reason to write someone off for DofE. I k ow of a group where 6 out of 7 were able-bodied who all did their walking Expedition in wheel chairs.

1 Like

there are other options to walking - DofE can be done on bikes or water (canoe)

1 Like