Linking BADER Email to Outlook

Anyone know how to link BADER emails to Outlook?

I have one already set up so I know it’s possible; but I’ve no idea how I did it! Are there any “how-to” guides?

Seconded - my employer is about to move to Office 365 so that would be very useful.

This may help.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/help/Knowledge%20Base/20120801-Setting%20up%20ActiveSync%20for%20Bader%20E-Mail-U-Bader.Staffs.docx

[quote=“Baldrick” post=22667]This may help.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/help/Knowledge%20Base/20120801-Setting%20up%20ActiveSync%20for%20Bader%20E-Mail-U-Bader.Staffs.docx[/quote]

Does that still work following the server changes? I haven’t been able to get outlook desktop linked again since all of the problems - still works on my phone but not on the desktop…

Hasn’t been working for me either.

it’s still working on my Outlook for Mac as an Exchange account.

After the last big change I had to remove the account from Outlook and set it up again but it worked fine again and still is for me.

Presumably they can’t actually remote wipe my iPhone, just the Exchange account…

Nope, the whole device

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232129.aspx

Handy for if your device is stolen…

Hmm. Guess I won’t be connecting my personal iPhone to BADER, then. If HQAC want the power to remote wipe my phone, they can buy me one…

(You can remote wipe using Find My iPhone, you don’t need a third-party product.)

Discussion here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3090996

PS that’s also given me an interesting one to fire at our school head of IT, as we are about to move to Exchange. I’m thinking twice about putting my school Exchange email on my iPhone, either - I can stick to using my (employer-provided) iPad instead…

Most/historic use meant that you were given a work phone, so would be a useful feature.

As long as they don’t disable pop/imap access you can connect the email without using exchange and the remote wipe feature.

Edit: note the above is regarding your school. Bader team have indeed disabled this feature

Unless they’ve reenabled it, POP and IMAP were turned off with the upgrade probably a year or more ago.

Whilst connecting an exchange account requires you to accept the ability to remote wipe the device it’s not because HQAC have decided they want to be able to do so. They don’t even intend to use it. It’s just an automatic requirement of connection to Microsoft Exchange from a mobile device. Just as it enforces the use of a security passcode on your phone.

Why would they do such a thing?

Why would they disable it, or why would they later re-enable it?

The Exchange ActiveSync method (which is what we are using) has various advantages over IMAP/POP and SMTP from a data and management perspective. The key one has already been mentioned in that by setting up a device as an ActiveSync client we can enforce certain security standards on the device, such as requiring it to be locked with a PIN. From a data security standpoint it is the minimum I would expect.

Exchange does have some advantages, however it also has one big disadvantage that using IMAP avoided…

When using Exchange on Outlook you can only add one account per “profile” so if you want to access more than one Bader account you need to set up an additional profile to hold it.

The other thing I found was that when I added my Bader exchange account in the same profile as my normal POP/SMTP mail accounts all my mail rules uploaded themselves to the Bader server, and it started sharing my contacts as well.
I couldn’t prevent it from doing that so I created another profile anyway.

These multiple profiles lead to another problem… Outlook only runs as a single instance. You can’t open multiple Outlook sessions, so you have to keep closing Outlook and reopening with the profile you want to check.

Fortunately I found an application which works around this and allows me to open separate instances of Outlook. So now I have three Outlook sessions open, one for my personal & business email; one for my Squadron account; and one for my Wing account.

Fiddly to say the least. IMAP was easy.

I’ve got 3 Bader mail accounts using Outlook 2013 on this PC right now, all connecting with ActiveSync and all running fine under a single profile.
No problems at all setting them up or using separate signatures for the different mail accounts.

Two of those I also have on my mobile, again using ActiveSync. HTC on Android.
Again, plain sailing.

I’ve got 3 Bader mail accounts using Outlook 2013 on this PC right now, all connecting with ActiveSync and all running fine under a single profile.
No problems at all setting them up or using separate signatures for the different mail accounts.

Two of those I also have on my mobile, again using ActiveSync. HTC on Android.
Again, plain sailing.[/quote]

I’ve got 2 bader and one office365 exchange accounts setup under one profile, works fine as well. Again outlook 2013 but it did work with 2010 as well.

Ah, presumably then this is something they fixed post Outlook 2007.
I’ll stick with my difficult work around rather than upgrade :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT - Yes, research tells me this was made possible in Outlook 2010.

Are you running that on XP?

LOL - even Dii is more up to date than you (Win7 / Office2010), though still trailing a bit.