Graduated Driving Licences

I took my test where there are no motorways. You just learn on a dual carriageway. Remembering that learners can now go on motorways with an instructor if they really want to.

Same speed limit, multiple lanes, same central reservation.

If you can get your head around signs being green rather than blue then, whilst not absolutely identical, it’s more than adequate.

Less of a learning curve than taking a test in the back end of Yorkshire and then driving through central London, something that your licence allows you to do quite happily on day 1.

As to graduated licences, it’s hard. Driving at night to me is easier than in the day - everyone’s got lights on so you can see them more easily and from far further away, but mainly there’s much less traffic. M25 at 2am vs 9am, it’s literally. If it and day. But it’s the late night stuff that’s more dangerous statistically, I imagine impacted by the ‘lads lads’ groups going out on the pop and being silly. Ban passengers after 6pm? Before they’ve had a chance to have a skinful?

Moderating engine size is near impossible now as small cars with turbos walk the ‘big’ cars of even 15 years ago. And with EVs, another story, moderate power output, but what about acceleration?

Very hard nut to crack. Minimum age to 18? Can’t be trusted to waste £2 on a scratch card, can you really be trusted to drive a car?

2 Likes

Shoot a GPMG in the military at 16?
Fly planes solo with cadets at 16?
Legally allowed to smoke at 16?

You’re going the wrong way :sweat_smile:

Only in education / training establishments, and the UN still accuses us of recruiting child soldiers.

You must be new here?

I thought that changed to 18 years ago, and was going higher?

2 Likes

The UN can suck it :joy:

My WAvO has given the impression it’ll be returning for 16Yo

Buy is 18, but Smoking is still 16

1 Like

There is technically no minimum age at all to smoke. However, it is illegal to sell them to an under 18

1 Like

Technically not true, depending on what you are driving…

Absolutely right, though not that many 17 year olds are hitching 4 berth Swifts to the back of their Fiestas :wink:

1 Like

Research has shown that the male brain in particular doesn’t fully develop until the age of 24.

2 Likes

Need to be 24 to go straight onto monster motorbikes, could be something in it.

I’ve no idea what the answer would be, it would always have an element of arbitrariness to it.

That’s just to stop teen pregnancies. Bikes are cool. It’s like doing a hand brake turn. Absolutely irresistible.

2 Likes

Even then is there any proof that is a benefit? I’m in my 40’s never ridden a bike in my life, what makes me safer than a 23 year old?

Also how would that translate to cars? Surely the cost in insurance stops 17 year olds going out and buying a Porsche anyway.

It’ll be data driven.

Insurance is cheaper for us as we get older, because we’re safer. A brand new 40 something is still less likely to crash than a 22 year old with a few years biking/driving. If it wasn’t, the insurance wouldn’t be priced like that.

My guess is the average 40 year old is less likely to be cocky and do stupid things on a bike/car than a 20 year old.

Agree with the insurance, but some people have considerably deeper pockets than others.

I’d take my chance with kids who are not yet 18 to do those listed above as they are under constant guidance with weapons with training, flying isn’t in a busy sky with hundreds of other planes and if they want to smoke, then more fool them and not around me as many places should have designated places they should stick to. But driving a car :grimacing:

Well, I certainly learnt about hazard awareness on bike - got the full licence before passing my car test. Went from a 125cc Honda to a Superdream. Had to trade it in for my first car - couldn’t afford anything but a secondhand Vauxhall Viva!

Could there be arguments to propose mandatory moped riding before car driving? Or, would that be to dangerous for car drivers with so many more L riders??