Creases in DPM Trousers / Shirts

[size=100] LOUD NOISES!!![/size]

Got into work thought id log on seen this the spat tea all over my screen :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Leeroy” post=8637]AP1358C makes no reference to the ironing of creases in No.3 uniform…

[/quote]

[/confused]

surely that is reason enough?

on these boards we (ACC members) argue and discuss all matters and quote the regs as the rules and final word to answer a question (taking an example, Cadet in No4/5 uniform) so why cant we accept the rule book as final word in this case?

seems a bit of a contradiction that AP1358c is referred to only when it suits people.

my personal opinion - meh!
i dont iron creases, i wear my greens when i am taking part in dirty tasks, i dont wear my “Sunday best” when i am servicing my car, and likewise dont wear my overalls to a wedding
horses for courses.

i can see why people do it, but as i wear my greens in the field 99% of the time (and by that i mean not in an Office environment, ie rolling around in the dirt in a field, range/weapons instruction) i dont have the drive to spend the time on garments which i know will get abused.

i disagree with those who claim there is no pride without creases. providing the uniform is not worn like a bag of spuds, its clean, it fits and is suitable for use (ie not thread bare) then what is the problem?
if i want to be smart i wear No2 blues, if i want to be smarter i wear No1s…

After looking in AP1358C I cant find anything in there about ironing CS95’s (I did only have a quick look so I may be worng) but if thats the case from what you are saying that means we shouldnt iron them at all.

The only thing I can see about ironing in AP1358C is on No 1’s same as in AP1358 if someone can see different please point me that way as I may be going blind :cheer:

Btw No 2’s are working dress which are also expected to get dirty granted not as dirty as greens

splitting hairs somewhat, replace ironing with “creases”

i’m not saying No2s dont get dirty, i am saying No2 is a suit, while No3 isnt.

No2s as i remind Cadets on the occasions i travel direct to Sqn from work is no different to the suit i wear to work. shoes are clean and polished, trousers are clean and pressed, i have a belt in place which fits, a shirt with is clean, a good fit and pressed

the differences (ranks, headress, brazzard) are minimal once removing the uniformity each garment (ie colour/style)

Sorry the point I was trying to make is I cant find anywhere in AP1358C or AP1358 that mentions about ironing creases into No 2’s (Im sure it is in there somewhere if anyone knows where please point it out)
but we expect creases in No 2’s the only thing I can find on ironing is on No 1’s which states not to iron creases in.

In fact, there isn’t a single reference to actively ironing anything in 1358C. So, on that logic let’s not bother! (Goes off to destroy iron and board.)

And yes, I’m being facetious.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=8705]In fact, there isn’t a single reference to actively ironing anything in 1358C. So, on that logic let’s not bother! (Goes off to destroy iron and board.)

And yes, I’m being facetious.[/quote]

Well that is my point exactly!

[quote=“zinggy” post=8709][quote=“Baldrick” post=8705]In fact, there isn’t a single reference to actively ironing anything in 1358C. So, on that logic let’s not bother! (Goes off to destroy iron and board.)

Well that is my point exactly![/quote]

:? Yes there is. :?

It specifically tells you to iron creases into shirt sleeves and trousers in No 1 and No 2 dress (and presumably No 6 and No 7…).

[quote=“Gunner” post=8670][quote=“zinggy” post=8665][quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8653][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.
Therefore there would appear to be no requirement to have set creases in the kit but there is also no problem with having them in.

In other words, I wouldn’t expect anyone to be getting an earful for having their CS95 in perfectly good condition but without a razor-edged crease in the arms and legs. :)[/quote]

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement…

I think you will find that the RAF did iron creases into CS95 when they had them infact everyone I ever saw in greens had them ironed if they didnt they got a nice chat with hats on.

To be fair they look gash when they dont have creases its all about pride of apperance.

As for the TRF just iron that in half like the rest of the world that wear or used to wear CS95[/quote]

Jesus H Christ! Greens are for dying in, not ironing.

Anyway you talk Balls! In service spanning 3 decades outside of a recruit training establishment I’ve ALWAYS ironed my DPM and CS95 trousers flat. Creases down the arm of the shirts (or jackets) if you wish to be a pedant.[/quote]

I left 2 years ago this month and the only time CS95’s didn’t get ironed was in the desert every unit I was based at we had to iron them[/quote]
SVS is a plumber. They’re all gash when it comes to presentation…[/quote]

Goooood, lets trot out some more tired cliches…

[quote=“tango_lima” post=8721][quote=“zinggy” post=8709][quote=“Baldrick” post=8705]In fact, there isn’t a single reference to actively ironing anything in 1358C. So, on that logic let’s not bother! (Goes off to destroy iron and board.)

Well that is my point exactly![/quote]

:? Yes there is. :?

It specifically tells you to iron creases into shirt sleeves and trousers in No 1 and No 2 dress (and presumably No 6 and No 7…).[/quote]

Where is it? not its not that’s I don’t believe you I just couldn’t see it

Definately in AP1358. Not sure about the cling-on version.

I knew there was somewhere It don’t help that I was looking for it on my phone

Not to worry found it! It helps when looking at a bigger screen! on the DPM front no mention of ironing at all with or without creases.

While it does say to press in creases in certain locations, and not to press in creases in others, it doesn’t actually say to iron it neatly.

my point is, that the dress regs are not the complete picture. And slavish adherence to the letter of the words doesn’t actually produce the required result.

[quote=“zinggy” post=8666]

Flying suits should never be ironed or washed (dry clean only) there is a reason for this but that’s for another time…[/quote]

Indeed. However washing is most necessary (and they self iron after a trip or two - and creases in them look daft!).

That said, there are “flying” CS95 issued on some fleets now, which I presume are as “unironable”.

As for No 2 creases: seeing as they are issued as “tailored” trouser and with a crease already, it’d be very difficult to remove said crease. They’d look daft without one.

The crux of the matter is mentioned in the two most recent posts - as long as it is neat and tidy, no one is going to care. If you look like you’ve slept in it, or a half dressed chav, you can expect someone to take exception! :slight_smile:

[quote=“chaz” post=8737][quote=“zinggy” post=8666]

Flying suits should never be ironed or washed (dry clean only) there is a reason for this but that’s for another time…[/quote]

Indeed. However washing is most necessary (and they self iron after a trip or two - and creases in them look daft!).

That said, there are “flying” CS95 issued on some fleets now, which I presume are as “unironable”.

As for No 2 creases: seeing as they are issued as “tailored” trouser and with a crease already, it’d be very difficult to remove said crease. They’d look daft without one.

The crux of the matter is mentioned in the two most recent posts - as long as it is neat and tidy, no one is going to care. If you look like you’ve slept in it, or a half dressed chav, you can expect someone to take exception! :)[/q]

Its all due to the fire retardant material used on flying clothing if you wash them in a washing machine or iron them they become U/S (they lose the fire retardancy)

Flying CS95’s were made out of the same fire retardant material only available through a flying clothing section not stores I spent a fair few years working in flying clothing when I was a Survival equipment fitter

[quote=“zinggy” post=8744]
Its all due to the fire retardant material used on flying clothing if you wash them in a washing machine or iron them they become U/S (they lose the fire retardancy)[/quote]

I’ve never washed any flying suits, and neither have my flying brethren. Honest. :lol:

Fast jet aircrew do it all the time they are a nightmare for it :crying:

All aircrew smell just as bad as each other. In the summer months they’ll only get one days use before they need washing again.

All aircrew smell just as bad as each other. In the summer months they’ll only get one days use before they need washing again.[/quote]

Well, if you didn’t all insist on being stark naked under the suit, maybe your underwear would soak up some of the sweat… :stuck_out_tongue: