Creases in DPM Trousers / Shirts

Morning Folks. I’ve managed “ahem” acquire some fresh out of the packet DPMs. Now the Lightweight Jacket (shirt) and trousers have both got pre-positioned creases in the sleeves/legs.

Are these to be maintained or are they to be “flat fronted”?

AP1358C makes no reference to the ironing of creases in No.3 uniform…

Help required please!!

Confused of Cheshire

I’d say keep them in - it’s what I did.

The regs don’t say not to, and it’s both easier and smarter to iron creases in than it is to try and iron without leaving creases!

Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.
Therefore there would appear to be no requirement to have set creases in the kit but there is also no problem with having them in.

In other words, I wouldn’t expect anyone to be getting an earful for having their CS95 in perfectly good condition but without a razor-edged crease in the arms and legs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seconded, and it makes it easier to sew on the badges. TRFs going down the centre of the sleeve crease.

(I know they usually come with them for officers, but rumour is the current TRF is going.)

[quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.
Therefore there would appear to be no requirement to have set creases in the kit but there is also no problem with having them in.

In other words, I wouldn’t expect anyone to be getting an earful for having their CS95 in perfectly good condition but without a razor-edged crease in the arms and legs. :)[/quote]

Thats a bit of a sweeping statement…

I think you will find that the RAF did iron creases into CS95 when they had them infact everyone I ever saw in greens had them ironed if they didnt they got a nice chat with hats on.

To be fair they look gash when they dont have creases its all about pride of apperance.

As for the TRF just iron that in half like the rest of the world that wear or used to wear CS95

[quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

In other words, I wouldn’t expect anyone to be getting an earful for having their CS95 in perfectly good condition but without a razor-edged crease in the arms and legs. :)[/quote]

I think you will find that the RAF did iron creases into CS95 when they had them infact everyone I ever saw in greens had them ironed if they didnt they got a nice chat with hats on.

To be fair they look gash when they dont have creases its all about pride of apperance.

As for the TRF just iron that in half like the rest of the world that wear or used to wear CS95[/quote]

They look rubbish with creases in.

Because they’re combats.

Personal preference though. If you really feel the need to add extra pointless bull to your life, crack on.

1 Like

Perry Mason likes this very much!

I dont see how having pride in the uniform you wear as pointless bull??

I wear the uniform to the same standard I did when I was in the RAF I know I am no longer in but it is the RAF’s uniform if we wear it looking rubbish the public look at us and think the RAF are rubbish. As I always say we borrow the uniform from the RAF the least we could do is make it look smart.

As for “they look rubbish with creases because they are combats” try telling that to the rest of HM Forces.

Please dont give me the old greens are for dieing in not ironing or no straight lines in nature lines.

[quote=“tango_lima” post=8644][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

As for the TRF just iron that in half like the rest of the world that wear or used to wear CS95[/quote]

They look rubbish with creases in.

Because they’re combats.

Personal preference though. If you really feel the need to add extra pointless bull to your life, crack on.[/quote]I see it as the other way around - trying to avoid creases is a pain in the bum!

The reason that trousers and shirts traditionally have creases in them is simply because it’s the easiest way to iron them.

[size=6]AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So what is the answer???[/size]

[quote=“zinggy” post=8646]I dont see how having pride in the uniform you wear as pointless bull??

I wear the uniform to the same standard I did when I was in the RAF I know I am no longer in but it is the RAF’s uniform if we wear it looking rubbish the public look at us and think the RAF are rubbish. As I always say we borrow the uniform from the RAF the least we could do is make it look smart.

As for “they look rubbish with creases because they are combats” try telling that to the rest of HM Forces.

Please dont give me the old greens are for dieing in not ironing or no straight lines in nature lines.[/quote]

How about: “excessive ironing of the sort needed to put a decent crease in CS95 degrades the fabric both in terms of its durability and its ‘technical’ properties, causing it to a) explode into a cloud of green and brown rags at the worst possible time and/or b) glow in the dark”?

Creases doesn’t look smarter than ironed with no creases, it just looks different. It takes the same amount of effort to iron combats flat and you don’t look like a massive dweeb with a mud and cam cream allergy.

1 Like

[quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

Jesus H Christ! Greens are for dying in, not ironing.

Anyway you talk Balls! In service spanning 3 decades outside of a recruit training establishment I’ve ALWAYS ironed my DPM and CS95 trousers flat. Creases down the arm of the shirts (or jackets) if you wish to be a pedant.

[quote=“Leeroy” post=8651][size=6]AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So what is the answer???[/size][/quote]

Trousers ironed flat, shirt ironed flat with a crease down the sleeve if you wish. There you go. Quote this reference if you get any further hassle.

This thread can be closed now :cheer:

[quote=“Leeroy” post=8651][size=6]AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So what is the answer???[/size][/quote]Keep them ironed - with or without a crease as per personal preference/ironing technique.

I haven’t put creases in DPM for several years. Certainly with MTP/PCS shirt it’s almost impossible. Similarly with MTP trousers, with the offset nature of the pockets, creases make them look a bit skew-whiff. They don’t need creases, and they look just as smart ironed flat; they’re working dress after all (just like a flying suit :slight_smile: )

This also helps when you’re somewhere without an iron (or board) for quite some time (like the desert). If you don’t have creases ironed in, they don’t look silly when they’re subsequently ironed flat.

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8653][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

Anyway you talk Balls! In service spanning 3 decades outside of a recruit training establishment I’ve ALWAYS ironed my DPM and CS95 trousers flat. Creases down the arm of the shirts (or jackets) if you wish to be a pedant.[/quote]

I left 2 years ago this month and the only time CS95’s didn’t get ironed was in the desert every unit I was based at we had to iron them

[quote=“chaz” post=8659]I haven’t put creases in DPM for several years. Certainly with MTP/PCS shirt it’s almost impossible. Similarly with MTP trousers, with the offset nature of the pockets, creases make them look a bit skew-whiff. They don’t need creases, and they look just as smart ironed flat; they’re working dress after all (just like a flying suit :slight_smile: )

This also helps when you’re somewhere without an iron (or board) for quite some time (like the desert). If you don’t have creases ironed in, they don’t look silly when they’re subsequently ironed flat.[/quote]

Flying suits should never be ironed or washed (dry clean only) there is a reason for this but that’s for another time…

[quote=“zinggy” post=8665][quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8653][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

Anyway you talk Balls! In service spanning 3 decades outside of a recruit training establishment I’ve ALWAYS ironed my DPM and CS95 trousers flat. Creases down the arm of the shirts (or jackets) if you wish to be a pedant.[/quote]

I left 2 years ago this month and the only time CS95’s didn’t get ironed was in the desert every unit I was based at we had to iron them[/quote]

Re-read what I wrote doucher. I said they were ironed flat, sans creases.

[quote=“zinggy” post=8665][quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8653][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

I left 2 years ago this month and the only time CS95’s didn’t get ironed was in the desert every unit I was based at we had to iron them[/quote]
SVS is a plumber. They’re all gash when it comes to presentation…

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8669][quote=“zinggy” post=8665][quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=8653][quote=“zinggy” post=8642][quote=“incubus” post=8640]Generally speaking the RAF do not seem to iron creases into CS95, though the bits which want to be the army tend to.

Re-read what I wrote doucher. I said they were ironed flat, sans creases.[/quote]

Nice to see we are all acting our age here!

As well as setting a great example to the cadets that might read this