Cadet Expansion Programme (CEP)?

Is the CEP a national programme eg UK wide or just England? I ask this because education is a devolved portfolio to the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland assemblies/parliaments. Nothing has been said about money being streamed to the regional education departments. Also the article in the VR(T) thread specifically mentions England.

If it is only England How will the effect the ATC and CCF in the regions?

As it’s an MOD (which isn’t devolved) initiative / pet project it’s across the UK/GB.

But reading the article it is obvious that it’s quite the done deal that some like to suggest it is.
The MOD say they can’t say which schools have opened one, why not? Surely with the amount of public (our) money being put into this pet project should demand a have a clear communication of how it’s been spent and where. People get uppity about poor financial management in the NHS or education so why not the military.

Put Cadet Expansion Programme into your search engine and see how many new units have opened and where.

https://combinedcadetforce.org.uk/find-a-ccf

Use this link to see where they are and we’d know in our area if it was a normal school or fee paying/selective (grammar). The MOD’s assertion is that there are more what I call normal schools.

At present there doesn’t seem to be CEP in Scotland

This is probably due the the fact it’s between the department of education and MoD. Our schools don’t come under the department of Education but direct control of the Scottish government.

The initial CEP effort did not extend to Scotland - I think it was E&W
The next batch will also include Scotland and presumably NI too.

That will be interesting too see how that fails as the majority of schools in the central belt are against the military and see the cadets as reserve forces

Dammit! Not everything is about the central belt!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but I couldn’t comment further on northern or southern Scotland as I am unfamiliar to with the schools there, same as I couldn’t comment on English, Welsh or NIs schools…

I can categorically assure you that CEP is now UK-wide, although the mechanics in Scotland are somewhat different.

Cheers
BTI

Indeed. CEP100 (first 100) was England only as contrary to remarks above, CEP is a partnership between MOD and DfE (or whatever they’re called this week). Scotland, Wales and NI didn’t want to play. CEP500 (bringing total to 500 i.e. around another 150) includes the others as they now do want to join in.

This was part of the argument against the proposed capitation charges which would have charged existing state school CCFs in Scotland to fund expansion into English state schools. This went down like a lead balloon… Luckily the banks were naughty and money was redirected!