Blue PCS for the Navy

Introduction

1.  The No 4 Action Working Dress (AWD) uniform has changed very little over 60 years, and while it has served the RN well, it nevertheless has shortcomings especially in extremes of climate.  Furthermore, No 4 (AWD) uniform is not optimal for Force Protection or Boarding Operations which has led to a reliance on MTP with detrimental effect on corporate image.  These inadequacies and shortfalls have featured repeatedly in Fleet Lessons Identified and were highlighted in the Review of Core Maritime Skills.  Following a successful trial of a flash retardant (FR) blue variant of Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) Combat Uniform style clothing in 2011, funding and approval was subsequently given to roll-out RNPCS to the Naval Service as the new No 4 (PCS) dress for all seagoing and operational personnel and those undergoing Phase 1, 2 or 3 training.  The new uniform concept addresses the trinity of corporate image, performance across climatic variances and flash retardant capability.  

[attachment=220]rn.jpg[/attachment]

However, Iā€™m hearing from a friend in the senior service that the new kit has been at least partially recalled due to problems in manufacture i.e. the fabric did not have a treatment (fire retardent?) applied prior to it being assembled into the garments. The garments were then treated and packed into RTP packs when wet and thus rotted.
I hope that this isnā€™t the case but as he was just coming out of clothing stores to claim his free issue of the new kit, it is quite possibly true.

1 Like

Didnā€™t the same thing happen with their new caps?

Looks rats.

That is what is always said when uniform changes.

Bring back hairy mary trousers, button collars and battle dress, looked to dogs blks.

I stand by my statement. Having seen it in the flesh on the Navy and seen it in the flesh trialled by the RAF, it looks rats.

[quote=ā€œpapa novemberā€ post=23639]However, Iā€™m hearing from a friend in the senior service that the new kit has been at least partially recalled due to problems in manufacture i.e. the fabric did not have a treatment (fire retardent?) applied prior to it being assembled into the garments. The garments were then treated and packed into RTP packs when wet and thus rotted.
I hope that this isnā€™t the case but as he was just coming out of clothing stores to claim his free issue of the new kit, it is quite possibly true.[/quote]

All of this is old issues that have passed and been dealt with. The Fire Retardant issue was almost 2 years ago now and the rot issue was late last year. The rollout it imminentā€¦ eventuallyā€¦

Yep, seen in the flesh the old version that had a media release and was trialled on 3 ships a few years ago. Where they got MTP and changed it blue. This is based on MTP with a few alterations. Only part that doesnā€™t sit well with me is the White Ensign on the sleeve,

White ensign = corporate image. More and more important in todayā€™s forces where each are trying to obtain the highest profileā€¦

I think itā€™s a fairly sensible idea.
The old No 4 trousers are great, but thick and hotā€¦ I can only imagine how uncomfortable wearing the old blue Norgie shirt must be in warm weather.

flago - the gen I mention above was put out by our station clothing stores 2 weeks ago following our senior service pers being told to go and get their new kit. It really doesnā€™t look hopeful!

I can now update this as I am now modelling the RN new kitā€¦ Have to say it is quite smart. The White Ensign is not as bad as initially thought.

Huge improvement from the old uniform. Its comfortable and versatile, no complaint. Will be wearing it frequently over the next few months so will give you an update if I get the time.

ā€œRoyal Navy unveils ā€˜modernā€™ uniformā€

1. I am interested to know what the negative comments were to only be "mostly positive"
    common sense and experience tells if one person is negative they wonā€™t be alone

2. as their No4 shirt is the Cadet No2C Working Blue (save a different label) where will that leave the ACO with regard to shirts? beg borrow and steal now else it will much like the No3 uniform situation?

[quote=ā€œsteve679ā€ post=23953]1) I am interested to know what the negative comments were to only be "mostly positive"
common sense and experience tells if one person is negative they wonā€™t be alone

1. as their No4 shirt is the Cadet No2C Working Blue (save a different label) where will that leave the ACO with regard to shirts? beg borrow and steal now else it will much like the No3 uniform situation?[/quote]

1 - Just a few things like, if you are wearing a jumper you can only wear it under the jacket/shirt and then when you want to take it off you have to then take it all of to take e off your jumperā€¦ slightly annoying. Then the belts are rather thin and flimsy, loosely woven so are going to wear and snag with time. Then you have the amount issues that doesnā€™t fit what is practical.

2 - Its not. Out 4s shirts are thicker, lighter blue and fire retardant. RAF WB shirts are completely different material. The very old RAF WB shirts were the same but not today.

But is it practical to do the job in? Thatā€™s what a working uniform is for working in, what it looks like it less important.

That is the reason that we have formal uniforms for formal occasions which are less comfortable/practical but which look good.

Yes it is very practical and no look is important, or should I say corporate image. One of the drivers for change (other than modernising an out of date, not fit for purpose) is to enhance corporate image. Particularly with our boarding parties who wear MTP currently (essential cammo for people at seaā€¦) so now all will wear PCS and have a corporate image.

After all the ACO know what its like being asked ā€œare you in the army?ā€ by the publicā€¦ I have also been asked if I am a pilot when in 1s and 3s.

[quote=ā€œflagoā€ post=23969]

2 - Its not. Out 4s shirts are thicker, lighter blue and fire retardant. RAF WB shirts are completely different material. The very old RAF WB shirts were the same but not today.[/quote]

ah right, i stand corrected! thanks for the update!

Not quite, actually - having run stores with both in I can say that the buttons were different coloursā€¦

{anorak off}

The not as old as the ā€˜veryā€™ old shirts were the same.
i.e. The issue before the current ā€˜darkā€™ dark blue.

of the various blue shirts i have, both short and long sleeve there is at least two if not three different type of button design

#justsaying